Getting to Know Your Roommate in 5 Simple Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Being that I’ve had four roommates in my three years at Towson—don’t judge me—I can say that getting to know your roommate can be very crucial to being comfortable at school. Most of us are fortunate enough to have our own rooms at home so it becomes difficult to transition into sharing with someone else.  Whether you selected the luxurious living in West Village, the common suburbs of the middle of campus lifestyle in Glen Towers, or the hard knocks life of PrettyBorough, making the most of your situation is what’s best and getting to know your roommates, suitemates and floormates can help your transition into college go a lot smoother. Here are some tips on getting to know your roommate.

1. Talk Before School Starts. Finding your roommate on Facebook/Twitter may seem like a creep move but trust me it isn’t! By finding a way to communicate with your roommate you can alleviate some of the awkwardness of a first meeting. It will also help you discuss who is bringing what. It also might be worth your while to get shared items during the Target After Hours event on Monday August 26th. Lots of discounts, giveaways and music only for Towson students!
  2. Sit and Talk About Expectations. Although this may seem very serious it can be as fun as you want it to be. Sit down with your roommate during orientation to discuss what you like and don’t like when it comes to your living style. We all have pet peeves and talking them out beforehand could help the two of you avoid pointless arguments. Discuss things like having friends over, if you sleep with the TV on and how the rotation for cleaning the bathroom will work.
    My current roommate, Keisha, and I on the tiger near the Liberal Arts Building.
  3. Play 20 Questions. 20 questions is a great game for getting to know people. Although you’ll be tired of icebreakers after all the ones you’ll play during orientation, the one with your roommate can be the most important. You might find out information that they wouldn’t have thought to tell you when talking about their interests. But don’t feel the need to over-share. Yes, you want to know as much about the person you’re living with as you possibly can but you don’t have to over-share. If the person starts to ask questions that you feel uncomfortable answering, politely tell them.
  4. Have an Open Mind. No two people will be 100% alike. Therefore when someone is different than you be open to accepting them for who they are. At the same time, don’t force your beliefs onto someone. Sometimes the best thing to do is agree to disagree so that you can move forward without any awkwardness or hesitation.
  5. Be Yourself. As a college student, you will find many students who get caught up in the new environment. Always remember to stay true to yourself. Although college is about creating lasting friendships and memories, you are here to get an education. Besides it’s always better “to have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.”

If all else fails, your RA is here to help things go smoothly. From conflicts to helping jumpstart conversation, an RA can be your best resource when it comes to having a comfortable living environment. Don’t be quick to change roommates! Even if you become unhappy with your living situation, it would be a good idea to give it some time before making that decision. You are allowed to change roommates for the spring semester but it cost $75 so choose wisely!

Erin is a Mass Communications student at Towson University studying Journalism, Advertising and Public Relations. She is the Editor-In-Chief, Campus Correspondent and President of Her Campus Towson. Erin has been writing for Her Campus Towson since fall 2011 and worked as an intern for Sister 2 Sister Magazine in summer 2013. She competed in the 2012 Miss Maryland USA pageant and has since done some print modeling as a hobby.