Get it Right, Get it Tight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Spring is here and the flowers are definitely blooming. I don’t know about ya’ll—but once spring comes, I know that summer is right around the corner.  It’s funny because every time I think about the summer, I always think about the song “Summertime” by Will Smith. If you aren’t familiar with it, I definitely recommend you visit iTunes and purchase it ASAP! But this song always puts me in the summer mood…no school, lots of cookouts, fun with friends and family, and the POOL! 

Like many of you, I can’t wait for the pools to open; I just have to make sure I get my body right and tight for the cute tank tops, summer dresses, shorts, and—oh yes—the bikinis. So with summer right around the corner, this post is definitely for those who also want to get their body right and tight! 

Ladies, don’t go another summer wearing capris when you know you want to rock those cute shorts from Urban Outfitters, or, that two-piece you saw at Old Navy, but decided to get the one piece instead. NO! Not this summer. And one way to get started is by eating healthy

I’m not saying to be drastic and change everything, but make smarter eating decisions.  There are over sixteen dining choices on Towson’s campus that all offer a varied selection of food. 

Beverages: Drop the soda and juice and pick up WATER! You don’t know how much water weight we gain by all these sugary drinks. Not only is water good for you, but drinking water also removes toxins and water retention weight.

Breakfast: I realize we’re all busy, but it’s true that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating breakfast keeps your metabolism running quickly. It also keeps your body from going into starvation mode, so that when you do eventually eat you’re not overindulging yourself in food.  

Breakfast Options on Campus: Einstein Bros Bagels at West Village Commons offers bagels, fruit, and healthy juices. You can also try a smoothie from Jamba Juice if breakfast is really not your thing! 

Lunch: Now the goal is to make smarter eating choices. So instead of going to Chick-Fil-A or eating a heavy pasta dish, try eating a salad or a sandwich.

Lunch Options on Campus: The New York Deli and Salads in Susquehanna offers a varied selection of sandwiches and  salads. You don’t have to eat the whole sandwich at once; eat half and then save the other half for later. It’s true that our eyes are bigger than our stomachs.  When asked for chips or fruit. CHOOSE THE FRUIT! 

Dinner: There are three all-you-can-eat dining facilities on campus.  The Glen, Newell Dining, and Commons Dining Hall. Even though it’s all-you-can-eat, be smart about your choices. Make a balanced nutritional meal (i.e. chicken, rice, vegetables, and salad, with some fruit on the side). There are many options—just make a good decision. 

Try to remember your portion sizes when eating! Don’t eat all your food until you get full, stuffed and feel like you’re about to take a long nap. Rather, eat until your satisfied. 

All in all, ladies, we know that change starts within. We can’t expect anything to happen on its own, we have to want it and we have to want to put in the work. 

There are many options on campus, so there is no excuse why eating healthier can’t happen! 

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.