Get Healthy! Eat Chia Seeds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

In my nutrition class I was introduced to chia seeds… yes the famous cha-cha-cha chia pets! Even though some of us may have enjoyed playing with these seeds as kids, they are more than just a fun time.  They are one of the most nutritionally dense seeds out there.  Okay, so you’re like ‘why would I want to eat a seed?!” Well here’s why:

What they contain

These tiny seeds have more omega-3’s than salmon! Omega-3 fatty acids cannot be made in the body so you have to eat them to obtain them.  The benefits of them include preventing cancer, cardiovascular disease, and arthritis. Some claim they can also help children with developmental disorders such as autism. They are also rich in calcium and antioxidants.

How you can eat them

Anyway imaginable! That’s right, you do not have to take a spoonful of them and chew, but you can cook them into absolutely anything.  I put them in my yogurt all the time and I think it adds a lot of texture to the yogurt which makes it more enjoyable.  My mom has put them in soups and stews.  When you put them in liquid they become almost gel-like and you can easily drink them down.  If you’re a Pinterest fan you can type in “chia seeds” to the search box and you’ll be amazed at the delicious food you can make from pizza to smoothies to banana bread.

What else they can do

They make you feel full! They are great if you are trying to lose weight or if you have a long time in between breakfast and lunch! There are more numerous claims that doctors and nutritionist believe that chia seeds can do.  As these gain popularity, more will be known.

Where to buy them

You can get them at your local grocery store. I got my bottle at Safeway, but they are so popular these days that I think any grocery store would have them.  Even though they are expensive (my bottle was $18) it is a good investment because they come in a huge bottle that will probably last you an entire year!

What’s your favorite health food? Let’s talk about it in the comments!