Get Healthy With Chelsea! Week Eight: Step Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Part of college is adapting to changes. Sometimes life gives us more sudden changes than we’re ready for, but we learn to move with it. There’s a lot going on in my life that has changed my attitude on things. With Easter behind us, I admit these changes encouraged me to indulge a bit more than I probably should have. But now that things are somewhat settling down, I can’t let myself fall behind more. I’ve lost seven pounds since the start of the semester, and on track to lose more. I can’t slow down now!

But honestly, exercise gets pretty boring. If the TVs in Burdick aren’t playing anything particularly interesting while I’m on the treadmill, I have to resort to tons of different day dreams and whatnot to keep busy and ignore the cry of my feet from walking so much.

Even just power-walking on the treadmill is good for you. It’s all about the baby steps!

To help motivate myself a little more, yeah, I picture my end result goal and how great I’m going to feel, but for the here and now my mom and I have come up with a little contest. I finally got my pedometer back after it broke months ago, so now everyday she and I challenge each other to see who can reach more steps that day. So far, she’s winning. But it’s encouraging me to take the long way back to my room, or to push on for a little longer on the treadmill. Boredom be banned! I need to beat her!

In an effort to win I’ve decided to go to the gym more than just twice a week. I’m bumping it up to three or four, depending on how my schedule is for that particular day. When I’m at the gym, I’m trying new things—instead of just pedaling away on the elliptical, not I’m pedaling away on the bike and power walking on the treadmill. It’s a little frustrating that my knee won’t let me run yet without hurting, but I’m taking baby steps to get back to where I can run!

As of 12:40 p.m. today I have 9, 802 steps. Hopefully I’ll get enough to beat mom tonight!

Do you ever have trouble staying motivated? Get a friend and get a little healthy competition started. Remember your limits and don’t push yourself too hard, but a little friendly competition is a great way to keep the excitement in exercise.