Freshman Diary: Readjusting to School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

I’ve never had a winter break that lasted longer than ten days. So, a six week long break felt like a godsend! I took full advantage of my lack of responsibilities and sat on my couch so much that there’s a permanent impression of my butt on the cushion. Now that I’m back at school and I’ve been here for a few weeks, I’d love to put that same impression on my bed, but that’s not exactly going to happen. As much as I hate to admit it, I actually have things to do. Getting back into a normal routine has been difficult, so here is a list of what I’ve been doing to help myself readjust.

Re-discover My Favorite Study Spot.

By the end of last semester, I had figured out where I liked to study and when. But now that everyone’s schedules have changed, my favorite study spots are crowded at times when they used to be empty.

Wake Up On Time.

I am one of those people who will wake up at the last possible moment, no matter how much it stresses me out. It’s probably not healthy to start my day by running around the room in order to get ready for class in time. So far, waking up earlier has been helping me organize my thoughts and make me feel like I have everything together at the start of the day.

Chain Myself to My Calendar.

Going from having literally nothing to worry about to having actual responsibilities would be impossible without the calendar app on my phone. Seeing everything organized on there makes me feel like I have my life together and I know what I’m doing.

Plan Ahead.

My days tend to be long and busy, I don’t have time to go back to my dorm and get something I forgot. So, every night I go through the next day’s schedule and take note of anything I might need, from notebooks to textbooks to whether or not I need to put more bandaids in my backpack (the life of a dance major). Doing this at night has helped me remember absolutely everything.