Wellness > Mental Health

Four Beauty, Fashion, and Wellness Tips to Survive the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

By Jazmyne Carr

The winter season can be hard for a number of reasons: there is an increased risk of
developing depression, outfits tend to be for warmth rather than style, and the harsh weather can
leave skin extremely dry, just to name a few. In addition during winter people often spend more
time indoors which can lead to feelings of isolation and/or boredom. Although we are in our final
stretch of the season and global warming has us questioning if summer somehow started in
February, unfortunately it is still winter. Even on warmer winter days it can be extremely dry and
windy outside. Plus, the weather is extremely unpredictable, so we are likely to still get some
below freezing days. Keep reading to learn how to make the most of your last few official weeks
of winter with four fashion, beauty, and wellness tips.

1. Update your skincare for the season. As a dry skin girlie I know firsthand how
    dehydrated and lifeless skin can get during the winter season. To help prevent my skin
    from drying out I like to “slug” my face at night. “Slugging” involves applying an
    occlusive layer (such as Vaseline or Aquaphor) over your face after doing your normal
    routine. On winter nights I wash my face with a gentle cleanser, apply my everyday
    moisturizer, and then slather a layer of Vaseline on top. When I wake up the next
    morning my skin is hydrated and basically glowing. However, if you have oily or acne
    prone skin be cautious with slugging as it may clog your pores, try using a thicker
    moisturizer or hydrating mask instead to get similar results. To prevent dry skin on my
    body I like to apply a body oil after lotion for extra hydration. Lastly and most
    importantly remember to apply sunscreen on your face every day. Even when you can’t
    see or feel the sun it is releasing harmful rays that damage skin in the long run (and yes
    this applies to people of darker and deeper skin tones too). https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRt7VSkG/
  2. Invest in cute winter accessories. I have been interested in fashion for as long as I can
    remember. This meant that for many years I prioritized wearing a cute outfit over being
    warm. However as I got older I realized how much I absolutely hate being cold especially
    since coming to college and sometimes having to walk over 10 minutes to get to class.
    But I’m here to tell you that you don’t have to choose. When most people think of a
    winter jacket they think of a plain black puffer but in reality the options are endless.
    Examples of fun outerwear from my closet include a fur cheetah print coat, a patent
    leather winter jacket, and a pink rain jacket. Outerwear comes in so many different,
    styles, patterns, and colors that fit any price point so you can stay warm while also
    looking fashionable. For the days when it’s extra cold don’t be afraid to whip out other
    winter accessories such as scarves, leg warmers, and gloves. Recently my favorite winter
    accessory has been earmuffs because they add a cute touch to my outfit, keep my ears
    warm, and do not mess up my hair like traditional winter hats do. 
  3. Take care of your mental health. The winter months can be extremely tough for those
    who struggle with their mental health. Even those who have good mental health may
    experience problems in the winter due to conditions like seasonal affective disorder, a
    type of depression that only occurs during the winter. Using what I learned from being
    raised in a family of therapists and experiencing my own struggles with mental health, I
    have developed some tips that helped me and will hopefully help you avoid the winter
    blues.
  1. Start working out. Most of us imagine spending our summers somewhere on a beach
    with the perfect summer body. Well unfortunately those chiseled abs and biceps aren’t
    just going to appear, they require hard work and consistency. If you start now your body
    can completely transform by the time summer comes. However, working out does not
    have to be about the physical results. Exercise has been shown to improve mental health
    and to keep our body functioning better for longer. Also working out can be a major
    stress reliever, something that I know many of us college students need. It is also
    important to remember that working out does not have to be miserable. It’s better to find
    an exercise that you like rather than forcing yourself to do something that you hate and
    will give up after a week. If you are unsure how to start your workout journey, try
    checking out fitness classes at Burdick that are free for students. Options include yoga,
    cycling, core, strength, Zumba and more. Find more information at https://www.towson.edu/studentlife/activities/recreation/campusrec/fitness/groupexercise .html

Winter does not have to be miserable. The season can give us more time to chill inside with
    our loved ones, start new patterns and routines, and focus on bettering ourselves. Hopefully
    my tips can help you thrive in the winter instead of just surviving. And for those that are
    struggling remember that you are loved, you are enough, and that you only have a few more weeks left until winter is over!!!

Jazmyne Carr

Towson '25

Jazmyne Carr is a junior Nursing major at Towson University. Jazmyne also serves as a lifestyle writer for Her Campus: Towson. A quote that inspires her is "every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." – Harriet Tubman