Former Towson Tiger Helps Baltimore Blast Soccer Team Win the Championship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

On March 16th, First Mariner Area erupted with cheers of victory as Baltimore’s indoor soccer team, The Baltimore Blast, won the Championship, beating the Missouri Comets 8-6.  Baltimore’s success is obviously due to a roster of incredibly talented, hardworking players.  One of those players is forward Marco Mangione, who not long ago was scoring goals for the Towson Tigers. 

Right before the playoffs, I was fortunate enough to interview Marco about his memories at Towson, his first season for the Blast, what he likes to do when he’s not on the field, and even what he looks for in a girl.  Even with a packed schedule preparing for the upcoming playoff and championship games, Marco was willing to take the time to answer my questions.   

HC: Have you always wanted to play soccer professionally?

MM:  When growing up as kid, I looked up to my favorite athletes and always wanted to play professionally.  The idea of playing professionally didn’t really become a reality until my final two years at Towson University.

HC: If you weren’t playing soccer, what would you be doing?

MM: If I wasn’t playing soccer, I’d be working somewhere inside my family’s businesses.

HC: Who is someone you look up to?

MM: I look up to my father. He also played professional soccer, but more importantly has set a great example on how to raise a family for my siblings and me to follow.

HC: Do have any advice to give to students who are hoping to have careers in professional sports?

MM:  My advice for any future professionals is that hard work pays off. There may be times when things do not go your way, but you cannot let that get you down. Always challenge yourself to get better.

HC: What has this season on the Blast been like for you? Do you have a favorite experience? 

MM: This season with the Blast has been a lot of fun and has helped me grow as a player and a professional. My favorite experience so far would have to be when I scored the game winning goal against the Wichita Wings.

HC: What was your favorite thing about Towson?  A favorite memory?

MM: My favorite thing about Towson University was being able to play on the university soccer team. My favorite memories were all the ones I had with my teammates on and off the field.

HC: What is something you like to do in your spare time?

MM: In my spare time I like to play with my dog, Bastian.

HC: What’s one thing on your bucket list?

MM: One thing on my bucket list is to take a vacation to Bora Bora and stay in one of the Overwater Bungalows.

So he’s athletic, loves animals, and wants to travel.  What’s a girl have to do to get this guy’s attention?

HC: What do you look for in a girl?

MM:  In a girl, I look for one that is different from all the rest, someone who acts more mature, but is also fun to be around. She obviously has to meet my big family and be able to pass that test.

HC: What do you do to get a girl’s attention?

MM: I don’t really do anything specific to get a girl’s attention because I feel that something like that can’t be forced.

HC: What’s your ideal date?

MM: My ideal date is going to an Italian Restaurant.

HC: Are you single? (Sorry ladies…)

MM: No, I am not single. I have a great girlfriend who has been incredibly supportive of my professional soccer career.  

The 2013-2014 season will start up in November.  Why not come out to a game?  The Blast’s home field is at First Mariner Arena in Baltimore City.  You can enjoy a great game, great food, and cheer on Marco and his teammates!

Photos courtesy of Lewis Melcher; Facebook:  Baltimore Blast Game Day Photos