Focusing on the “Right Now”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

We all complain about things for one reason or another. Maybe you have a big test coming up that you need to study for and at the same time you have two research papers due within just a couple days. Or maybe you didn’t get a chance to get to the gym because you slept in due to all the studying (or partying) that you may have done the night before. Or maybe you have no idea what you want to do once you graduate. Either way you put it, there are a lot of us who constantly complain and worry about things, as big or small as they may be. I will admit that I catch myself worrying about things in the future that I don’t have any control over. But yet I still stress and get myself worked up. It’s silly because we should only focus on what we have right now. 

I know a lot of college students aren’t exactly sure what the heck they want to do or will be doing after graduation. To the few students who know exactly what career they will have, well more power to you! But I can’t seem to let these worries go away. So I am going to give you a couple things to keep in mind that will hopefully help with embracing life to its fullest without worrying about the things that haven’t even happened yet.

1.) Live in the moment.

Try to catch yourself daydreaming or wishing for things in the future. Yes, it is great to be a dreamer, but often times you can get caught in a rut because you are too focused on what you want, rather than what you have. Right now, this very moment, is all we really have. Live in it!

2.) Set goals.

It is one thing to set goals, but it is another thing to set small term achievements.  What are your goals? But also, are these goals realistic?

3.) List what you are thankful for.

This one is pretty self-explanatory. Write down all the things that you are thankful for. It could be anything, even as small as what you had for lunch today or a special someone in your life.

4.) Organize your wants/needs.

What do you want? A well-paying job? A family? A new car? Good health? Happiness? Although it is great to have things that you want, it is important to take a moment and think about what you actually need; what will bring you inner happiness and satisfaction. 

5.) Take action.

Good things come to those who take action and work hard. By taking action, you won’t have as much time to worry or stress about the unknown future because you will be proactive in getting yourself closer to your dreams.

Hopefully you take some of this into consideration the next time you feel stressed.