This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Everyone loves Tie Dye! Follow these steps for the perfect spring tie dyed top!

Materials:

• A Sunny Day (so you can dye outdoors)
  • Rubber Bands
  • Tie Dye Kit ($9.99 from Michael’s)
  • Water
  • Rubber/Plastic Gloves
  • Saran Wrap

Step One: Plain White T’s

• Choose a plain, white t-shirt and lay it on a flat surface. The flat surface can be a table, driveway, grass, etc. In this tutorial, the flat surface is a table.

Step Two: Swirly Temple

• Use two fingers, starting in the middle of the shirt, to twist the shirt into a swirl.

Step Three: Bandz

• Tie 5 rubber bands around the swirl. Make sure they all intersect at the center of the swirl. The rubber bands should look similar to a star design.

Step Four: Little Mix

• Pour water up to the fill line into the dye powder. Shake until all of the powder is dissolved. Continue process for all of your bottles of dye.

Step Five: Color Me Purple

• Pour the dye onto each triangle of the swirled shirt. Alternate between colors and try to leave no white spots! This part is a bit messy so gloves are imperative if you don’t want muli-colored fingers for a week!

Step Six: Flip, Flop

• Flip the t-shirt over and do the exact same to this side. Make sure to dye the blank triangles the same color as the colored triangles on the opposite side!

• Repeat this process if you’re dyeing multiple shirts. Your shirt(s) should look like this once it’s done:

Step Seven: Wrap it Up

• Once dyed, wrap your shirt in saran wrap. It should look like a ball of plastic afterwards (if you’re doing multiple shirts at one time, wrap each t-shirt in saran wrap individually).
  • Make sure you use enough saran wrap to cover the t-shirt. More than enough is always better than less than enough! Let the T-shirts sit in the saran wrap for 6-8 hours!

Step Eight: Rinse it Out

• Carefully remove the saran wrap and rubber bands from the t-shirt. Rinse the shirt out in a sink or tub until the water runs clear.

Step Nine: Wash N’ Go

• Place your t-shirt in the washing machine. Use a small amount of detergent (I count to 3 when pouring the detergent!) and let your t-shirt wash on warm/cold with a medium spin!
  • Your shirt should look like this once it’s done washing: 
  • Throw your t-shirt in the dryer and then your done!

Voilà!

(VIDEO TUTORIAL)

Enjoy your tie dyed shirts and be sure to tag @HerCampusTowson on Twitter to show us your cool designs!— Side Note: Practice makes perfect. If your shirt doesn’t turn out how you like, keep trying until you find yourself proud to wear your own tie dye shirt. Good luck, Tigers!{{Video tutorial & all photos in the tutorial provided by: TutorialsByA on YouTube! Subscribe to her for many more DIYs! I know I am!}}

"Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain... To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices - today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it." - Kevyn Aucoin ♡     Dominique Melton Dominique Melton is a student at Towson University studying Mass Communication with a track in Public Relations with a minor in Business Administration. She dreams to work in the fashion industry once she graduates, as she has not only a passion for writing but fashion as well.  Speaking of her passions she also loves: • live music • photography • singing • shopping • health/fitness   Fun facts about her include: • She's been to 151 concerts and listens to everything from rock to r&b, edm to alternative, indie to hip-hop, and blues to pop • She's a girl who can code! • She loves to learn which makes for great conversation • She is a massive One Direction fan and knows everything about them...literally everything • She learned how to play the piano and guitar by ear • She has performed at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.   You can follow her on Twitter here and Instagram here!