The Chronicles of a Collegiate Traveler: A Reflection on My Time Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Hey collegiettes! With only one final and one paper to go, it’s time to reflect on my semester abroad. In a few weeks I will be back home, immersed back into my life. The reality that was once customary to me is starting to become surreal.

I have spent these past four months plucked out of my life and dropped onto a different continent. I’ve grown accustomed to the cultural values and my routine here in England. The idea of heading back to the states simply feels like a dream. Can someone pinch me now please?

Florence, Italy (Image by Shelby Newsome)

These past four months have taught me a lot about myself. I’ve met new friends, enjoyed classes I wouldn’t be able to take at Towson and traveled to places I only dreamed of going in my lifetime.

This experience is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

While enjoying this semester, I have had a lot of time to think. I realized that I might have taken things in my life for granted without evening knowing it. Being away from my friends and family has really reiterated how big and important their roles are in my life.

The light at the end of the tunnel; Pisa, Italy (Image by Shelby Newsome)

As weird as it is to think that in a few weeks I will be back in the states, this experience just a fleeting memory of four months that once was, I am ready to be back.

I am ready for new challenges. I am ready to live in the moment, everyday, always. I am ready to grow even more as a person. But most importantly, I am ready to be back with my friends and family.

My time in England has been invaluable and unparalleled to any experience I have ever had before. It’s one that most people will never experience in their lifetimes.

Pisa, Italy at night (Image by Shelby Newsome)

I am very grateful to have been given this opportunity to study abroad and document my time here with you ladies! I hope you all enjoyed these articles and if you are thinking of studying abroad I hope they helped! Studying abroad is definitely an experience worth having. Remember to challenge yourself to become a better you. Have a great summer ladies.

Hi, I'm Shelby! I love fashion, words, and the beach. I am the Fashion and Beauty Editor for Her Campus Towson Chapter.
Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.