Campus Celebrity: Jasmine C. Green, President of MOD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Modelz of Distinction is much more than a modeling team. When you go to MOD fashion shows you know you are getting the experience of witnessing an extravaganza. MOD was founded in 2010 under the presidency of Jayden Doye. He passed the crown to Jasmine C. Green in spring 2014 at The Immortal Fashion Show. Jasmine is the reigning president of MOD. She is a trailblazer, visionary and professional in her own life and she gives that same energy to upholding the legacy of Modelz of Distinction.

Jasmine is native to Maryland. She has ties in the Baltimore, Prince George’s County and Washington D.C. areas. She is studying Mass Communications on the Journalism Track with a Psychology minor at Towson University. Jasmine is a graduating senior and she has an accomplished catalog of campus involvement that has impacted this university. She has been a member of SAGE, TU Thinks Pink, Rhythm Step Team, TU Color Guard and Modelz of Distinction in the span of her college career.

“I only like to model, modeling is a gateway for me. When I walk, I become a different person,” she said.

Keiara West, MOD alumna, approached Jasmine at an involvement fair. When she joined MOD that began the start of her crossing a threshold into a greater realm of confidence, passion and leadership. She quickly started to progress from member to captain, then Vice President and now President. 

“Give me some more face, stretch your butt, get across that runway; giving them that encouragement. I always wished somebody was in my life like that. Being able to do that helped me automatically want to be in those higher positions,” she said.  

“It was always my passion to help people. I felt like that was my opportunity and to help people through fashion, to help them feel better about themselves just by simply telling them how beautiful they are,” she said.

Jasmine was teased when she was younger for being dark-skinned. At times she felt like the character Troy in the movie Crooklyn. Modeling gave her that self-esteem. She first began modeling when her aunt signed her up for the Barbizon modeling school when she was younger.  In 2012, she participated in a contest to win a prom dress. She won the prom dress and also received a photoshoot with hair and makeup styling. A published article accompanied her prize. Google her!

That experience seemed to foreshadow the role she would play in MOD. Jasmine is the bridge connecting so many people. She contacts designers, handles money, allocates decisions, disperses information, provides communication, directs commercials, contacts makeup artists, books photoshoots, creates choreography and plans fashion shows. She works to build a great portfolio for herself and her team, so that when people recognize the brand MOD, they will align it with nothing but greatness.

“You have to present this image that reflects your entire team, and by doing so that leads you to different opportunities,” she said.  

A designer from RAW artist of Baltimore came to MOD looking for models to be in the next showcase. That was a major stride for a college campus-sponsored modeling team. On September 25, 2015, MOD collaborated with GAP to host The Carpe Denim event in Towson Town Center Mall. Jasmine likes to fashion her own wardrobe with GAP pieces because of the simple, classic, masculine and feminine appeals that their clothes have.

Jasmine style is refined, just like her favorite meal on-campus. She loves to go to Au Bon Pain and get a Tuna fish sandwich on a whole wheat croissant with chipotle mayo alongside sweet tea and chips. Jasmine enjoys spending time in the Cook Library. When she is in Club Cook by a window, she is able to have moments to think about herself and what she wants do. She has future endeavors to open her own modeling academy to help those in foster care and in need of guidance. She wants to instill in them the best ability to be themselves and be that stepping stone for them to achieve their goals in life.  She also hopes to write for a magazine, write her own book and continue to model.

“You have to realize that your self-worth is greater than anything else in this world. The way to give back to yourself, is to give back to others. A butterfly is so small, but people don’t realize the impact that a buttery has on the world,” she said.

The story of the singer Kehlani reminds Jasmine of her own life. She enjoys the shows How to Get Away with Murder and Power with leading ladies such the iconic Viola Davis and Naturi Naughton. Jasmine really respects the way Teyana Taylor and Ciara carry themselves as women. All these women have an undeniable sense of confidence.

“Understand that you don’t become what you want, you become what you believe. Bring your confidence and bring yourself. Once you start believing in yourself, it’s like nobody can stop you. It’s that simple. It’s like you’re ultimately the shit,” she said.

One of the greatest things Jasmine has received from MOD is growth. She never gives up and when something is challenging she just tells herself to “try your best”. This is her mindset as it relates to school, work and her passions in life. Failure is not an option. She looks at situations like a challenge and opportunities for growth. She get enthusiastic because she is proud of what the result could be. Jasmine encourages her team to have that same perseverance and resilience because that is how you grow.

“You got the heels on, you got the sneakers on. Where’s your confidence? That’s all I need,”

During practice I tell my team, “It’s either yall wanna be here and be a family or you wanna leave; It’s that simple. You not ‘bout to do nothing else,” Jasmine says lovingly, “This is like a family, it’s more than just a modeling team,” she said.

“Follow the things that you believe in. I say that ultimately because you could die tomorrow. Did you live your live to the fullest? The day before, did you do something good for somebody? Did you do something good for yourself? Did you provide some type of outlet to your future? What are your preparing for? Are you preparing for greatness?”- Jasmine C. Green 

Upcoming Shows: Tomorrow, November 20th, 2015

IG: @ModelzofDistintion

IG: @theoriginaljcg

My name is Josephine Hill I consider myself to be an artist in every facet of my existence! Makeup Artist (MUA) - Model - Painter - Writer - Fashionista I'm from the D (M) V I currently attend Towson University I am a Mass Communications Major Contact: jhill24@students.towson.edu Follow me on Twitter: @LadyJo_LovesU Be friends with me on Facebook: Josephine Hill