Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Get Educated!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

With October being Breast Cancer Awareness month, I thought it would be nice to talk a stroll down memory lane. For those of you who have not seen me in person, I am a rather “busty” young woman. I’ve been that way most of my life. I went from Scooby-Doo training bras to a C-cup when I went through puberty. No in-between. My mom likes to make jokes about how when I was about 6 years old my step-sisters and I used to stuff our bras with tissue. She says all the friction created in the bra is what caused them to grow rapidly but of course science disproves that theory.

The truth? The size of a woman’s breasts is determined by genetics. In my case, I come from a family of “top heavy” women. My mom, aunts, grandmas and cousins are not too far from me in cup size, whether it is bigger or smaller. Breast Cancer is also something that runs in my family. My grandmother is a survivor and my aunt passed away this August after a long battle with the life-threatening disease. Seeing that my aunt was in her early 30s when she discovered the disease it made me very cautious as to what can happen with my body. Although only 7% of breast cancer cases occur in women under 40, women of any age can develop breast cancer so it is important to know the facts.

On October 22 and 24, Her Campus Towson will be teaming up with TU Thinks Pink in an effort to educate Towson students about breast cancer. Stop by our table on the second floor of the union to answer trivia questions about breast cancer and to create a memory for those you know that are battling, have survived or were lost to Breast Cancer. Even if you can’t make it, learn the facts. It could help you save a life, whether its yours or someone else’s. Finding a cure starts with hope and hope starts with us.

Check out this link to the “Ribbon of Strength” bracelet by Alex and Ani, one of the sponsors from our Speed Friending event!

Erin is a Mass Communications student at Towson University studying Journalism, Advertising and Public Relations. She is the Editor-In-Chief, Campus Correspondent and President of Her Campus Towson. Erin has been writing for Her Campus Towson since fall 2011 and worked as an intern for Sister 2 Sister Magazine in summer 2013. She competed in the 2012 Miss Maryland USA pageant and has since done some print modeling as a hobby. 
Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.