The Battle Between Tinted Moisturizers, BB Creams and Foundations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

We see the words foundation, BB Cream and tinted moisturizer everywhere. On advertisements, in the store but do we actually know what they mean? They look the same but they’re completely different. What do they do? What are the benefits? Do I really need that? We’re here to help you to put it all together to help you decide what’s perfect for you!

Tinted Moisturizer:

Tinted moisturizers are more of a lightweight formula and contain less pigmentation than a BB Cream. They were made to give the skin moisture and even out the skin just a little bit. On the plus side, there is a larger shade range than BB Creams however, they usually don’t have soothing ingredients but give the skin a lot of moisture. They have a low SPF content so they are better for pictures but not great for your skin. They are very useful for dry skin. For a larger budget, try Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer or Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20. If you’re on a tighter budget, try Sonia Kashuk Radiant Tinted Moisturizer from Target.

BB Creams:

BB Creams contain ingredients that are soothing to the skin, can help repair redness and are suitable for most types of skin. Some drugstore BB Creams include: Maybelline New York Dream Fresh BB Cream SPF 30 and Garnier Fructis Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector SPF 15 BB Cream. A few higher end BB creams include Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35 (perfect for oily skin), Estee Lauder Day Wear Antioxidant BB Cream SPF 35 (perfect for dry skin) and Bobbi Brown BB cream SPF 35 that helps combat dark spots. They all usually contain a SPF of 35 or higher, however, SPF usually isn’t suitable for pictures. BB Creams work as a multi-purpose product: a lightweight foundation, concealer and moisturizer all in one. You don’t even need a primer for this cream! The BB Creams are pigmented so they cover what you need yet  feel lightweight on the skin. A con of BB Creams is that there are only a limited number of shades but they usually blend well into the skin. 

Foundations:

Now foundations can be tricky. There is a large range of types of foundations let alone a broad color range. Each foundation has a different formula so finding the perfect foundation is a hunt but not impossible! Companies come out with new foundations all the time so trying new foundations can be a lot of fun. Different formulas for foundations include: crème to powder (great for oilier skin and usually heavier coverage), mousse/whipped (good for all skin types especially aging skin because it tends to go on smoother,) liquid (good for dry skin, various coverage available) and pressed powder/loose powder (light coverage, great for oilier skin). There are many foundations that are created for specific skin types or skin problems so finding your perfect foundation should not be a problem. These foundations, even the lightest of coverage, are heavier than both BB Creams and tinted moisturizers. They cover more problematic skin problems but avoiding the “cake face” is harder with foundations. Using less foundation than you think you’ll need and adding a little bit each time will help avoid that problem.  Many foundations also come with and without SPF. SPF in photographs gives a white cast effect when the flash goes off making your face look much lighter than the rest of your body. The shade range is a lot larger than BB creams and tinted moisturizers so any race can find their perfect match.

There are also many high-end and drugstore products available. Some include:  Laura Mercier Silk Crème Foundation, Clinique Even Better Foundation SPF 15, MAC Matchmaster Foundation, Bare Minerals Powder Foundation, Revlon Colorstay (Oily or normal skin), Almay Wake-up Hydrating Makeup and Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse Foundation.