Ask Andi: I Have To Work With My Ex This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Dear Andi,

I’m starting my summer job in a few weeks. I started dating my co-worker last summer and things ended badly. We haven’t spoken since. We’re both working together this summer. I’m nervous, how am I going to get through this summer without it being SUPER awkward.

Sincerely,
-Ex-Factor

Dear Ex-Factor,

I think the best thing you can do is initiate some form of contact with him.  Chances are he might be aware of the situation to come and is equally as worried about it.  So send him a text or Facebook message asking how he has been and after he responds, tell him that you wanted to make sure that your past doesn’t interfere with work.

He should be cool about it.  As far as it being awkward, if you too could go an entire year without speaking, chances are you will also be able to pretend you two are just co-workers with no past- you’ll be able to only discuss work matters and focus on the job.

If he is either unresponsive or he displays some sort of disdain for you- notify your employer.  Explain the situation and that you will not let it interfere with your work tasks, but you are afraid of how he will act.  At the very least, you are making a record of the issue with your boss so in case things get out of hand, you have help.  Your employer might even go as far to schedule you both on different shifts to prevent from any tension in the work environment.  

The past is the past.  You both need to try to forgive, forget and move on with your lives.  If he is unable to do that, you aren’t out of options.  As long as you make your issue known at work, then you will be able to work around this complicated relationship (or lack thereof) and also have support in it!

Make up, Make out, or forget him and just Make Money!

xoxo Andi

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.