Artist of the Month: Paige Fielhauer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Paige Fielhauer | Graphic Design and Advertising Major | Sophomore 

Photo of the Artist 

What first made you interested in art and why?

Growing up as a kid, I would get up every Saturday and go down stairs to watch old western movies with my dad and sister. On summer nights, my dad would blast classic rock through the entire house as my sister and I would choreograph dances to Nirvana and Aerosmith.  Movies and music have always been a huge part of my life, and taught me that there are different ways of expressing oneself. Whether you are dancing, drawing, photographing, or building a sculpture, it is the dramatic and theatrical culture of art that gets people hooked at such a young age, and it is what continues to draw them in today. 

What inspires you to continue?

The mystery of the future is what inspires me to continue with my work. I am still learning what my strengths and weakness are in my art, so with each new assignment or idea, I always make sure to follow a concept that I am excited and curious about. When I am really passionate about an idea, I push myself to the limit to see what I can create, and the mystery of ‘will this be a successful piece or fail?’ pushes me to try new techniques and use new materials. I love to surprise myself with figuring out what I am truly capable of doing. 

What is your favorite medium?

Lately, I have been taking after Tara Donovan, an artist that uses cheap, everyday objects to create huge elaborate sculptures.  As a college student, I am on a small budget, so the cheaper the materials I use, the better my bank account is going to look. Many people have the misconception that great art cannot stem from cheap materials, but the idea is to go crazy and do really intricate work with whatever you are using, and make it look like a million bucks. You can turn any material into a great piece of work, as long as you put all that you have into the details. The materials I use change all the time, depending on what I have available, but for the time being, I really enjoy working with thread and canvas. 

Who is your favorite artist / favorite artists?

I have three artists who I follow and who give me inspiration in my work: Danny Roberts, Tara Donovan, and Claude Monet. Danny Roberts is a young artist/illustrator in California that does amazing paintings of magazine covers and he has even done some work for Tiffany and Co. Tara Donovan, as I mentioned before is an artist that makes sculpture out of everyday objects and makes them into huge, extremely detailed pieces that are absolutely lovely. Last, but certainly not least is Claude Monet, the French impressionist painter. The way Monet plays with the representation of the world around him, is something to be treasured forever. His use of color and line is something I could look at forever and never get tired of looking at. 

Where do you see yourself as an artist in 10 years?

I see myself out in sunny California, working for an urban company, like Buzzfeed or Discovery Channel, as an art director.  I’ve always had a strong belief that you should choose a career that makes you happy and inspires you. Everyone knows the phrase “ If you love what you do, you’ll never want to work a day in your life”, but it really should be “If you love what you do, you’ll WANT to work a day in your life.” I am very excited for what the future holds and I look forward to making a mark on the world and seeing how it will change me.

How would you describe your style?

I don’t think I really have a style. My art is kind of like a chameleon, in the sense that when I see a piece of art that inspires me, I like to adopt parts of that style into my own work.  Each piece that I make is unique and has its own style that will probably not be repeated in any other work. My style is always going to change, and I don’t really see that as a bad thing. 

What have you learned about yourself?

I have learned that even after all the work that I do, I can still surprise myself. For example, I was thrown into a sculpture class where we did wood work and welding, and I thought I was never going to get the hang of the tools and techniques in order to makes a successful piece. However, I surprised everyone and myself with what I could make. I learned a lot this past year about taking advantage of my strengths and using what I can do naturally to make up for not taking a drawing class until I came to college.

Any sites where we can look at more of your art ?

http://paigefielhauer2.wix.com/portfolio

and @designbypaige on Instagram 

I'm a sophomore at Towson University, and am originally from Gaithersburg, MD. I'm double majoring in advertising and public relations, with a minor in marketing and Italian. I love fashion, photography, playing the violin, listening to all types of music, history, and going on adventures with friends.