7 Best Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Apple Cider Vinegar is multi-tasking home remedy ingredient. This is not the same vinegar in Utz chips. Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and pH balancing properties. ACV can boost your immune system, reduce dandruff and soothe sore throats. Fall is right around the corner! Add Apple Cider vinegar to your routine along with pumpkin spice lattes, scarves and boots to prepare for the chilly weather ahead. 

1. Detox Drinks

Adding Apple Cider Vinegar to any of your beverages is beneficial to your health and easy to do. The acetic acid helps reduce appetite, triglycerides (bad cholesterol), and candida levels. The candida in the body can increase sugar cravings, poor memory and fatigue. ACV breaks it down and increases metabolism, liver detoxification, energy levels, healthy Akaline pH, circulation and digestion.  You can find Apple Cider Vinger from our local Trader Joe’s on York Rd. It’s best to get the organic unfiltered one with darker cloudy powder because it contains alot of probiotics.

Add about 1 capful of Apple Cider Vinegar to smoothies, juices or teas that are 12-18 oz. This tastes exceptionally good with Tazo Organic Iced Green Tea, Oprah Chai Tea (not the latte, You can get a brew in the Club Cook Starbucks), and Ocean Spray CranLemonadeYou can also add 1/4 of a capful to an ice tray or to a water bottle. Be mindful that apple cider vinegar has acetic acid. The taste and smell is best when you only use a small amount. Do not drink it straight, it’s unplesant. Always dilute in someway with more liquid or something sweet. 

2. Skin Care 

Apple Cider Vinegar works wonders for the skin. You can think of it as a natural peel or skin toner. Making a solution of water with 33-50% ACV, and any essential oils such as tea tree oil or lavendar are good for the skin. The ACV breaks down the layer of makeup, excess oil and dirt on the skin. Usage will restore the skin’s pH levels and help with acne and lighten acne scars over time. Using high concentrations of apple cider vinegar may be irritating to the skim. Adding it to a bath with espom salt will draw out impurities and toxins from the skin, as well as, help to treat sunburn.

3. Sore Throat

Apple Cider Vinegar is a phenomenal home remdy when dealing with a sore throat. The antibacterial properities can help break up mucus and sinus congestion. You can gargle it with warm water or add it to your hot tea with cayenne pepper to reduce the pain. Using high concentrations of apple cider vinegar may be irritating to the mouth and throat. 

4. Hair Care

Apple Cider Vinegar can be used a pre-/post-wash rinse to remove dandruff and build up in the hair. The acidity and enzymes smoothe the cuticles of the hair to prevent dander. 

5. Teeth Whitening

Apple Cider Vinegar can be using at a teeth whitening and bad breath removing-agent. It’s hard to believe because the odor is strong and the color is dark, but using a small amount will make it easier to rub out stains on the teeth. Always dilute it 50% with water when using it as a mouthwash. Using high concentrations of apple cider vinegar may be damaging to tooth enamel. Coconut oil is a great complementary product to use with apple cider vinegar for dental hygiene.

6. Deodorizer

Apple Cider Vinegar can be a room or foot deodorizer. It’s just that versatile. Soak or apply ACV to baby wipes or paper towels, then use that to wipe down your feet and even armpits. The antifrugal properties will fight off odor-causing bacteria. Pour apple cider vinegar into a shallow bowl near a smelly area and the vinegar will nuetralize the odor. The vinegar smell will also evaporate.  

7. Condiments

Apple Cider Vinegar can only get more awesome because you can use it on your food too. DIY Vinaigrettes, sauces and marinades using ACV is a great way to integrate some health benefits into something so simple. 

You can find more information about Apple Cider Vinegar from these sources below:

Kimberly Elise Beauty Blog

Dr. Oz uses for Apple Cider Vinegar

40 Ways to use Apple Cider Vinegar- Salad Dressing Recipe

26 Ways to use Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple Cider Vinegar and Tea Tree Oil for Blemishes

WebMD 

My name is Josephine Hill I consider myself to be an artist in every facet of my existence! Makeup Artist (MUA) - Model - Painter - Writer - Fashionista I'm from the D (M) V I currently attend Towson University I am a Mass Communications Major Contact: jhill24@students.towson.edu Follow me on Twitter: @LadyJo_LovesU Be friends with me on Facebook: Josephine Hill