2014-2015 Grand Prix Final Preview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

The road to Pyeongchang 2018 has begun with the 2014-2015 Grand Prix of Figure Skating.  The Grand Prix is a series of international figure skating competitions: Skate America, Skate Canada, Cup of China, Trophée Éric Bompard, Rostelecom Cup, NHK Trophy and the Grand Prix Final. The top six qualifiers from the earlier competitions get to skate in the Final, which is going to be held in Barcelona, Spain this year and will run from December 11-14. Here are some skaters to watch: 

Elena Radionova-Russia 

At fifteen years old, Radionova has already won two Junior World titles, Junior Grand Prix Final and two of this season’s Grand Prix events: Skate America and the Trophée Éric Bompard. She became the first skater to qualify for the Final and is expected to earn a medal.

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva-Russia

The seventeen-year-old sensation from Russia has won the Cup of China and came in second at Skate America. She became the second skater from Russia to qualify for the Final and like Radionova, is expected to leave the event with a medal. 

Yulia Lipnitskaya-Russia 

The sixteen-year-old who skated into everyones hearts at the 2014 Winter Olympics and left as the youngest gold medalist under modern rules won two silver medals during the Grand Prix season: one at the Trophée Éric Bompard and the other at the Cup of China. She is the fourth figure skater from Russia to qualify for the Final (there must be something in the water over there). 

Ashley Wagner-United States

The two-time national champion and 2014 Olympic bronze medalist in the Team event has medaled at both of her Grand Prix assignmetns this year: Silver at Skate Canada and bronze at the Trophée Éric Bompard. She is one of two American skaters who have qualified for the Final (Note: On December 4, American Gracie Gold, who won the NHK trophy, withdrew from the GP Final because of an injury and Japan’s Rika Hongo was called up to take her spot).

Yuzuru HanyuJapan

The 2014 Olympic gold medalist is also the defending Grand Prix champion. Despite a collision during the free skate warm-up and a possible concussion, Hanyu won the silver at the Cup of China and placed fourth at the NHK Trophy. The Cup of China collision has affected his skating and may impact his performance in the Final and his ability to defend his title. 

Javier Fernández-Spain

Javier Fernández became the first Spanish figure skater to win a European Championship title (2013,2014) and a World Championship medal (Bronze in 2013, 2014) and came in fourth place at the 2014 Olympics. He won the Rostelecom Cup and came in second at Skate Canada. The Grand Prix Final is the biggest figure skating competition that Spain has ever held. Javier Fernández is expected to medal. 

Now that you know some of the skaters who will be competing this week in Barcelona, you can sit back and enjoy the show because this season is filled with new faces and new rules (you can now have lyrics in your program music) and just about anything can happen once they take to the ice. 

Junior at Towson University. Political Science major, Mass Communication minor. Raised Right. Lover of all things figure skating, the Baltimore Ravens, coffee and mixed drinks. Twitter: @Melliiisssaaaa Instagram: @Melliiissssaaaaa