12 Korean Hip-Hop Artists You Should Listen To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Looking for some diversity in you playlist? Try listening to Korean music! I’ve compiled a list of ten Korean artists you should check out sooner than later.

1. Epik High

Epik High was formed in 2001 and consists of three members; DJ Tukutz, Tablo and Mithra Jin. Epik High’s sound is reminiscent of 90s American hip-hop and that gains them a lot of international interests and a lot of international fans. This past summer, they held a North American tour with 11 shows in 9 cities (I got to see them in New York!). 

Songs to listen to:

Born Hater (feat. Beenzino, Verbal Jint, B.I., Mino & Bobby)

Umbrella (feat. Younha)

2. LeeSsang

This duo was formed in 2002 and consists of Gary and Gil. They were in a hip-hop group together in 1997, called X-Teen. After leaving that group, they teamed up together and became one of the most respected hip-hop groups in Korea. Their last album was released in 2012 so hopefully there is a new album coming soon!

Songs to listen to:

The Girl Who Can’t Break Up and the Guy Who Can’t Leave (feat. Jung In)

Kaleidoscope

3. Giriboy

Giriboy became apart of the underground hip-hop scene in Korea in 2011, and is still apart of it. In 2014, he competed on season three of the rap competition show, Show Me the Money and made it to the top 16, which is when they start performing in front of live audiences. After Giriboy’s participation on Show Me the Money, he began to be featured in a lot of songs by mainstream kpop artists, adding to his popularity. Some popular songs he was featured in include Ma First by Hyuseung, Stop Being Such a Baby by Sistar and Gu Hara’s Choco Chip Cookies.

Songs to listen to:

Adult

Back and Forth 30 Minutes (feat. Shin Jisu)

4. Black Nut

Black Nut is another underground rapper that gained most of his fame from his participation on Show Me the Money 4. He made it to the top 16 where he performed in front of live audiences. On the show, he was known for his funny antics and clever lyrics. 

Songs to listen to:

Second Round Audition for Show Me the Money 4

Higher Than E-Sens

5. Zico

Zico is another rapper that started off as part of the underground scene. In 2011, he ended up debuting as the leader and main rapper of kpop group Block B. Zico is also known for writing and producing many of his own songs as well as many Block B songs. He was also one of the judges for season 4 of Show Me the Money.

Songs to listen to:

Yes or No

Tough Cookie

6. Beenzino

Beenzino is a rapper signed to Illionaire Records. He officially debuted in 2009, but after only two years he became a well respected solo artist. He has released two albums and has collaborated on many tracks with other artists. Beenzino is also going on a North American tour in December with performances in Seattle, San Francisco, Dallas, Boston and New York.

Songs to listen to:

Break

How Do I Look?

7. Dynamic Duo

Dynamic duo was formed in 2003 and is made up of members Choiza and Gaeko. They have been friends since they were in elementary school and were also apart of an underground trio together. They release music together as a duo and seperately as solo artists. In 2006, they co-founded their own record label called Amoeba Culture, which houses many up-and-coming and popular artists such as Zion T., Crush and Primary.

Songs to listen to:

BAAAM (feat. Muzie of UV)

Guilty

8. Loco

Loco started to pursue hip-hop when he was in high school. He listened to artists like Kanye West and Korean group CB Mass. He won the first season of Show Me the Money and then was a judge for the show on the fourth season. He is signed to record label AOMG, which also has artists such as Jay Park, Gray and Simon D. In November of 2014, Loco and the artists listed before went on a United States tour (I saw them in Washington D.C.!).

Songs to listen to:

Thinking About You (feat. Jay Park)

Hold Me Tight (feat. Crush)

9. Simon Dominic

Simon D started his hip-hop career as a solo artist in 2007. Then in 2009, he became apart of a duo called Supreme Team with fellow rapper E-Sens. They released one EP and two albums before disbanding in 2013. After their disbandment he left his record label Amoeba Culture, and became the co-CEO of AOMG with Jay Park. He participated in the 2014 AOMG United States tour.

Songs to listen to:

Won & Only (feat. Jay Park)

Simon Dominic

10. Jessi

Jessi originally debuted under the name Jessica H.O in 2005 when she released her first single. After another single album in 2009, she took a five year break from the industry. She returned in 2014 as a member of the trio Lucky J and went by Jessi instead of Jessica H.O. In 2015, she competed on the show Unpretty Rapstar, which had female rappers competing for tracks on a collaboration album. Jessi was the first runner-up and after the show she collaborated with many artists and was featured on various shows. Her latest single, Tough Unni, was released in September.

Unpretty Dreams (Unpretty Rapstar Semi-Final)

Ssenunni (Tough Unni)

11. Tiger JK

Tiger JK moved to the United States when he was 12 years old. When he was a teenager, he was noticed and signed by a South Korean record label and quickly released his first solo album. He later became a part of a duo called Drunken Tiger, and still releases music under that name as a solo artist. In 2013, Tiger JK started his own record label named FEELGHOOD MUSIC and formed a group named MFBTY with his wife Yoon Mi-rae and fellow rapper Bizzy.

Reset (feat. Jinsil)

Forever (feat. Yoon Mi-rae)

12. Tasha / Yoon Mi-rae

Yoon Mi-rae is a rapper and a singer and she debuted at 16 years old in South Korea in a group named Uptown. She was one of the first mixed race artists in Korea and wrote about her struggles in her song Black Happiness. In 2000, she debuted as a solo artist under the name T. She formed a group called MFBTY with rapper Bizzy and her husband Tiger JK in 2013. She has since released many songs with the group, solo songs and songs for television soundtracks.

Angel with Tiger JK & Bizzy

Black Happiness

Kelsey is a junior at Towson University. She is a mass communications major with tracks in public relations, advertising, and journalism and minoring in marketing. Kelsey loves One Direction, 80s movies, K-pop, and makeup. She spends her spare time watching Asian dramas, writing, googling random things, and searching for the next makeup product she wants from Sephora. Other than studying and writing for Her Campus, Kelsey likes to go to new cities and attend as many concerts as she can. She is also currently nursing a broken heart due to Zayn Malik. Twitter: @kelseyjswann Instagram: @kelsey.swann
Her Campus

Towson '25