courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Things I Miss About Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

1.       The beach

I am lucky enough to live by some of the most beautiful beaches on the Jersey Shore. I could write a twelve book series about how much I love the beach. Until going away for school (also three hours away from the nearest beach), I never really acknowledged that not everyone got to grow up in a beach town. So it’s safe to assume that their childhood sucked.  

2.       My family

I have a great relationship with my parents, I talk to them every day. My dad likes to pretend he doesn’t miss me. There’s actually a high probability that he really doesn’t but for the sanctity of my self-esteem, let’s just agree that he’s pretending. And my mom always complains that the house feels so empty without me, which is precisely the way it should be.

3.       Home cooked meals

I’m pretty sure my mom could give Martha Stewart a run for her empire. If you’re reading this Stewart, on my mother’s behalf, I challenge you to a cook off.

4.       My house

Being cramped in an apartment/dorm really makes you appreciate a spacious floor plan. I’m also strangely obsessed with my house. I’m very protective of it (like Under Armour.) I don’t even like it when people park their cars in front of my house. It’s not like I live in a bad neighborhood, I literally live in the suburbs of New Jersey. But whenever I see middle schoolers walking home from school, I always keep an eye on them to make sure they keep going.

5.       Pork roll

And other local restaurants favorites.

6.       Familiarity

It’s nice just knowing things. When at school, before going somewhere or doing something, you always have to ask around to get a general understanding. But at home, that’s not the case at all. Like on Tuesdays, you can go to the movie theater and see movies for free! Or on Wednesdays in the summer, there are fireworks on the beach. Or knowing a quicker route to reach your destination. At school, I never really know where I’m going and I usually just wing it.

7.       Friends

Whether they’re living at home, attending a community college or are away at a four year school, you’ll never have all the time in the world to hang out and be together like you did in high school. That’s why I forced my close group of friends to participate in a group chat so we can talk almost every day. I also repeatedly Facetime them until they answer whether they like it or not, regardless what they’re doing because they need to remember my face.

8.       My bed

Enough said.

9.       Atmosphere

Every time I’m home, it’s like a wave of relief washes over me. Life is a little slower, more relaxed. Sometimes it’s nice to take a break from living in a college town.

10.   My dog

I actually don’t have a dog but if I did, game changer.

Jai-Leen James is a senior at Towson University majoring in Mass Communications with concentrations in Journalism & New Media while and minoring in Electronic Media and Film.  She aspires to have a career in broadcasting. In addition to being a contributing writer for Her Campus, Jai-Leen plays club field hockey and club women’s lacrosse. She is the Vice President of Towson's chapter of the National Broadcast Society and an active member of WMJF, the student-run television station on campus. When she’s not busy participating in her various activities, Jai-Leen enjoys eating, watching The Office, and going to music festivals. Follow her on Twitter! @j_james17