Life > Experiences

Why I Think Getting a Psychic Reading Is a Good New Year’s Ritual

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

During the first month of 2022, I was feeling sad reflecting on the past year, realizing that many of the goals I set out for myself were not achieved. Part of this was because of how uncertain and unpredictable the past two years have been. I felt out of control in my life and I wanted someone to tell me where I got lost along the way and provide me with a bit of insight into my future. So, I turned to a psychic. While many people are skeptical of psychic readings (rightfully so), if you are feeling lost and hopeless and just want a bit of encouragement, I would highly recommend visiting a good psychic who could give you a bit of hope and perspective to help you work towards new goals and have the fresh start you deserve. And to anyone skeptical, you might actually be stunned to hear a lot of truths about yourself revealed from a psychic who doesn’t know you at all.

So, I did my reading with a psychic over Zoom. She burned some incense and had her tarot cards ready. She asked me what areas of my life I wanted to get some insight on from the spirits, and I told her that I desperately wanted some clarity about my career and love life. I was hit with a lot of brutal and honest revelations about whether or not I should continue to pursue the dream job I have been aspiring to fulfill my entire life. Honestly, I didn’t like the answer but I knew she was right because she brought up the uneasy feelings I had inside that I never shared with anyone else, and reminded me that this is an indicator of whether or not I should continue down the path I have been pursuing for so long, albeit reminding me that it’s ok to change my mind. When it came to my love life, it seemed a little interesting, and she described someone in my current life with who she sees me getting into a relationship with. She described them with such accurate detail that it was hard not to believe it. 

I won’t reveal everything mentioned, however, I will say that after the one-hour reading, I had a lot to think about and I wrote everything down right away. I would recommend that anyone deciding to do a psychic reading over Zoom ask if they can record the hour because it can be difficult to remember everything afterward. 

One of the most frustrating parts of a psychic reading is that you are given a lot of revelations and predictions about your future, however, the medium a.k.a. the messenger doing your readings does not give you any answers on how to avoid certain negative events from happening or constructive advice on what to do, you just have to take what they tell you and decide how to act on it. 

An important disclaimer made by those who do tarot readings: Regardless of your predictions, you still have free will and control in your life to ensure certain bad things don’t happen, and even as someone who believes in this more than the average person, I still carry some skepticism and recognize that tarot readings are not defining of my life events. Overall, it’s just a fun experience and can encourage excitement or self-reflection, which is important when entering the new year so that you are able to create goals that are both achievable and realistic.  

Asritha is a student at Ryerson University in the beautiful city of Toronto Canada. Studying media production with a minor in English and Marketing she has a passion for journalistic writing, art, fitness, and going to the cinema every week with her friends. Particularly fond of chick flicks and the coming of age genre, her favorite movies are bridesmaids, clueless, and ladybird.