Life > Experiences

Why Being Involved In Politics Is Cool…Sometimes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

One of our generation’s best trademarks is getting accustomed to dark humour and making light of tragic situations as a way to overcome them.

With all the worldly disasters we grew up witnessing, such as the COVID-19 pandemic and the recent earthquakes, we often feel obliged to engage in political discussions in our own creative ways. We all have that one friend that brings politics into every simple conversation, and if you don’t, it’s probably you.

In all honesty, it’s safe to say that I’m that friend of the group. If you ever feel like getting involved in politics is too deep or serious for you, here are some reasons why you should feel free to speak to what you find important.

Empowerment

I’m not saying that politics should be the ultimate meaning of your life, although if it is, that’s awesome. However, advocating for things you believe in is very important to help you feel like you’re at least doing your best.

Whether this be by participating in protests against injustice or simply starting a conversation in class, these small steps will give you the sweet taste of empowerment that may be hard to find elsewhere.

You’re putting up a fight for a good cause. How could anyone tell you that makes you uncool? 

Belonging

Advocating for things you believe in can also build a strong community between those who share your beliefs and priorities and yourself. In time, you’ll find yourself surrounded by people who hear your thoughts and add to them. You wouldn’t care much about what others think of you because you know they’re like you.

So, don’t be afraid to share your passions; it will only help you attract the right audience.

Influence

If you muster up the courage to speak your mind and fight your political battles, you never know whom you might influence to do the same, even if they have different views. The whole point of politics is striving for change and impacting others to achieve the changes you want to see in the world.

The first step of the process could be one person; it could even be you. You may, directly or indirectly, affect those decisions by getting involved in politics, endorsing people who share your views, or fighting for laws that solve the problems you’re concerned about. 

Nobody likes a downer, but it’s difficult to push away the importance of conversations that need to be had occasionally. It’s a common misconception that politics are dull and depressing. Although the causes of these discussions are more serious than others, there are certain ways to go about them to make them more digestible and impactful. 

Angi Kallas

Toronto MU '24

Angi Kallas is a Palestinian Canadian aspiring journalist procrastinating her way through life. She prioritizes her sleep first, so in her free time, she likes to write, read, psycho-analyze people, and chat with her cat Tubas.