Unfinished: A Typical Thursday of a TV Addict’s Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

7:30 AM: Why is it so hard to get up in the morning? Can’t I have one day where I wake up bursting with energy? No? Alrighty then. Still thinking about that episode of Scandal I watched last night for the sixth time now. Scandal S1, E3 was a good episode – probably one of my favourites in the series. Five more minutes and then I’ll get up, I promise. And then maybe five minutes more, plus a clip of the season two finale of Scandal—it’ll be fine.

Kerry Washington Scandal GIF by ABC Network - Find & Share on GIPHY

7:57 AM: As per usual, every morning starts with me religiously watching Stephen Colbert’s monologue from last night’s show. There’s something about the intersection between American politics and humour that works so well together. He’s also pretty funny for an old dude. Don’t forget Jon Batiste and Stay Human! The class starts in 13 minutes…I still have time!

10:05 AM: Ok, no more slacking off! Two and a half episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine later. First, I am going to finish my weekly discussion post for my graphic design class. Nine-nine!

Nbc Boyle GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Find & Share on GIPHY

11:29 AM: Lunchtime! Sandra Oh, here we come! The Chair is a pretty good show so far. Is it the greatest? No. But I still stan Sandra Oh.

3:06 PM: Finally! That long three-hour lecture is over. Felt like six, to be honest. It’s not like I paid any attention. Too busy watching old #Sharpwin clips of New Amsterdam— OTP for real though. The writers understood the assignment! I did pick up on him saying something about project management and leadership and listening to others. Listening to others…how ironic. 

Season 2 Nbc GIF by New Amsterdam - Find & Share on GIPHY

5:32 PM: Dang it, my sister’s got the remote.. and she’s watching Netflix. The cheap basic plan doesn’t let two people in the same account use it at the same time. Well, at least she’s watching Vincenzo. A bit violent for her, but the plot lines are interesting at least. Why does each episode have to be like 80 minutes long?

6:04 PM: I got the remote and I’m in control! Okie dokie, what should I watch? Scandal? No, there are other shows to watch. Friends? Which episode though? Never mind. Bridgerton? *Looks around* The parents just came downstairs to the kitchen, so that’s a big no. I wish I had Apple TV. Ted Lasso’s a good show, I hear. So is The Morning Show with Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon. Focus!

6:20 PM: Twenty minutes later and I still haven’t settled on a show to watch. Hold on. Gilmore Girls? Heard a lot of good things about it. Yeah, alright, the pilot of Gilmore Girls it is!

8:18 PM: I feel like I jump around too much. Not literally. I have so many shows that I haven’t finished yet! Is that just me? I mean, just today I watched *counts using her fingers* clips from how many shows? I can’t do the math. And that’s not even half of it! I still haven’t finished Cheers, Mad About You, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Office, and Superstore! And it’s Thursday which means the best shows are on tonight. I have a serious problem.

Make It Stop Schitts Creek GIF by CBC - Find & Share on GIPHY

9:01 PM: Oh, Grey’s Anatomy. Eighteen seasons later and this show still exists. Seriously, how is this show still going on? Honestly, it should have ended years ago. At this point, it feels like it ‘jumped the shark’. I still love the early seasons!

10:56 PM: Dun-dun. Can’t believe the Law and Order: Special Victims Unit and Organized Crime crossover event are almost over! I also can’t understand how Benson and Stabler haven’t hooked up yet after more than twenty years. That’s some serious pent-up tension they got going on there.

11:30 PM: Hold up, it’s already 11:30? PM? You can’t be serious. Nuh-uh. Where did the time go? I haven’t even started my history essay on 20th-century relations between the U.S. and Indonesia yet! Very niche, I know. Alright, don’t panic. I still have time. Lucky for me, I still have a few days to write it… 3000 words of it. Oh boy. 

Nervous Season 3 GIF by The Office - Find & Share on GIPHY
Amanda Noor

Toronto MU '24

Amanda Noor is a fourth-year Creative Industries student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She's a huge movie and TV buff and American history and political junkie. When she's not writing articles for Her Campus, you can find her watching sitcoms from the 80s and 90s or daydreaming about living in New York City.