This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As we say goodbye to Halloween 2021, I want to acknowledge some costumes that stood out. From pop culture, nostalgic TV shows and movie references, this year’s costumes were nothing short of amazing. Here are five costumes from this past Halloween to prove it.

1. Squid Game Characters

Even if you (like me) haven’t watched the popular Korean drama that’s taken over Netflix by storm, you’ve definitely heard of it and have a rough idea of what the “Hunger Games on steroids” show is about. Since the drama became so popular, you were bound to see people dressed up as characters from the series. Some dressed as players while others dressed as workers. On Halloween, I went to Screemers in Toronto, and within 10 minutes, I saw four people dressed up as the workers, with varying shapes on their faces like the characters in the show. Although it wasn’t the most unique costume this year, it was a popular reference many people understood due to the perfect timing of the show’s release and its virality.

1. Fairies

With sci-fi and fantasy shows becoming more and more popular, fairies were destined to be seen everywhere this Halloween. If you were one of the cool kids who read the Winx Club books growing up, you would know that the show Fate: The Winx Saga was released earlier this year. Many people took inspiration from the series and created group costumes – each friend being a different fairy. Others groups channelled their inner Pixie Hollow. With origins from Peter Pan, Pixie Hollow is home to Tinker Bell and her fairy friends Silvermist, Rosetta, Iridessa, Fawn and Vidia. Fairies have always been an easy, go-to costume, and we’re not mad about seeing them again this year.

1. Powerpuff Girls

Sugar, spice and everything nice was the recipe for creating the nostalgic and iconic Powerpuff Girls. ’90s and early 2000s babies knew exactly what they were doing when they decided to dress up as Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup for Halloween. Each Powerpuff Girl is unique in her own way which makes it a perfect costume for a trio. They also represent different personality tropes within a friend group; Blossom is the leader, Bubbles is the sweet one and Buttercup is the fighter. If you were to dress up as one of the Powerpuff Girls, who would you be?

1. Scooby-Doo Characters

Hop into The Mystery Machine – it’s time to solve some mysteries! If you watched Scooby-Doo growing up, you’re definitely into true crime now and channel that inner detective into your Halloween costumes. This is another great group costume since you can dress up as any of the five characters. Each costume doesn’t require much effort and can also be done solo. The best part of these costumes is that its furry-friend inclusive; you can dress up your dog as Scooby which is guaranteed to get you extra treats!

1. Timmy and Trixie

Calling all couples! Fairly Odd Parents was one of my favourite shows growing up and the Timmy and Trixie costumes I’ve seen were nothing short of adorable. I know we all wish we had a Cosmo and Wanda in our lives, but unfortunately, that’s not the case. Even if you don’t have magic fairy godparents, you can still play make-believe for one day (or weekend) and dress up as the human couple from the show. You could even turn it into a double date costume and get another couple to dress up as Cosmo and Wanda (extra points if they have a baby that can be Poof).

There were so many amazing costumes this Halloween. If you dressed up as one of these – congrats, you made it on the best costume list!

Nashra Syed

Toronto MU '24

Nashra is a second-year journalism student at Ryerson University. She hopes to work in the sports and entertainment industry as a producer or broadcaster. Her favourite food is tacos and her favourite sports team is the Toronto Raptors.