New Year’s Book Recommendations from TMU Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

With the New Year comes a new chance to hit your reading goals. Whether you are an avid reader or just trying to get through one book, it can be challenging to know where to start. To help you choose your next great read, I asked first-year students around the Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) campus to see what they recommend based on their favourites from 2023. 

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

Kennedy Ball in the sociology program says:

“A book that I would recommend is The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. I found that the novel opened my mind up to different perspectives on life. For someone like myself who has suffered from mental health issues, I found that it opened my mind up to see the brighter side of things. It’s a very inspiring book that would benefit many people, especially people struggling, as it turns that page for you, helps you see the light in life and opens your mind to a new perspective.”

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

English student Sydney Reynolds shares:

“I would recommend A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas. It throws the reader into a universe that is also a part of three other series, with seven more books to come,” she says.

“It’s a fantasy series but also perfect for any romance lover. I found the first book a little tricky to get into; you have to give it a couple of chapters, but once you get into it, it is soul-sucking and addicting.”

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

Olivia Pedrech, who majors in graphic communication management (GCM), states:

“My favourite book that I read in 2023 was The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, a dystopian novel set in the future. In this world, only certain women are fertile. As a result, their society segregates women based on their ability to bear children. I found the novel to be a commentary on how women are viewed as objects, only seen as mothers, meant to reproduce. Unfortunately, it feels as though this could occur in our current society, especially with what happened in 2022 with Roe v. Wade. I recommend that everyone read this thought-provoking book that shows a unique perspective.”

Book Lovers by Emily Henry

Another English student, Jaclyn Kazaz, says:

“A novel I recommend is called Book Lovers by Emily Henry. I loved it because it’s in the romance genre but not the typical love-at-first-sight novel. I enjoyed the fact that the main character is different from the usual protagonist looking for love or looking to start a family. She’s very happy in her career and with her current life. It shows the reader that not all romance protagonists need to follow the typical path of love; they are perfectly content with their lives. Nonetheless, it’s still a unique, unexpected romance that any book lover will enjoy.”

My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh

Journalism student, Naechal Grewal, says:

“A favourite book of mine from 2023 was My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh. I found the book to have a lot of dark humour, raw honesty, and [it] immediately grabbed my attention. The novel showcased the reality of young women and their diverse relationships. This was a great read, and I would recommend it to anyone!”

Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro

Journalism student Shaaranki Kulenthira suggested one of Munro’s works:

“The name of the book I recommend is The Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro. It opened my eyes and was very heart-touching. Seeing the protagonist Del’s growth from the beginning of the book as a naive girl who witnessed the females around her being objectified and then her slow progression and evolvement into a strong woman was very eye-opening to me. It is a wonderful book for anyone interested in the themes of coming of age and feminism.”

None of This is True by Lisa Jewell

Last but not least, my personal recommendation speaks for itself:

None of This is True by Lisa Jewell was one of my favourite reads of 2023. After reading just a few pages of the psychological thriller, I couldn’t put it down and ended up finishing it in one sitting. The novel follows two women, Alix and Josie, recording a podcast together, but it takes a dark and twisted turn when three people end up dead. Lisa Jewell is one of my favourite authors, and she always leaves me on the edge of my seat wanting more.

After hearing recommendations from people on campus, I cannot wait to add these titles to my 2024 TBR list, and I hope you have discovered a few, too. Cheers to a new year filled with fresh books! Happy reading, TMU!

Kayla Solway

Toronto MU '27

Kayla Solway is a first-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She spent almost two years backpacking Asia and Central America and is passionate about storytelling and writing. If she's not thinking of her next trip, you can find her reading, hiking and playing with her dog. Find her on Instagram @kaylasolway