This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As the trees change colours and the smell of pumpkin spice lattes fills the air, everyone is cozying up in their favourite fall outfits. For some, comfort overrules all aspects of their outfits, while others simply want to make a statement. For those like me, who want the best of both worlds, it’s time to invest in a new stylish fall wardrobe.

Over the past few weeks, I have been curating a list of clothing items I think everyone should have in their wardrobes this season. From tops to boots to accessories, I’ve got a sound vision of what will keep us comfy as we serve looks all season long.

1 | The “goes-with-everything” Blazer

You can never go wrong with a simple black, brown, beige or gingham pattern blazer. The best thing is blazers are so versatile in their styling. You can dress them up over formal trousers and a collared shirt, wear one for a day out over a sweater dress or style one casually over a hoodie and biker shorts.

2 | The Leather Pants “of Ross’ nightmares”

Unless you have the luck of Ross from Friends, leather pants are a must-have in your closet. Much like a leather jacket that becomes a staple of your outfits, leather pants will snatch your heart in a second. Style them with a simple camisole, turtleneck, sweater or coat!

3 | The “made-for-lounging, outing and all-in-between” Chunky Knit Sweater

If Rory Gilmore is your style icon, or you just want to achieve the perfect minimalistic look, this sweater is your best friend. Just look at it– it is quite literally calling me in for a big, warm hug. If you’re feeling fancy, you can even crochet one for yourself.

4 | The “go-to” Puffer Vest

This isn’t news, but if you don’t already have a vest, what are you even doing in life? For days when it is too cold in the mornings, but scorching hot midday, these vests will be your best bet. Layer a sweater or long sleeve under them for the perfect laid-back look while staying warm.

5 | The “almost-a-blanket” Big Scarf

Get this– it’s a chilly fall morning, and you are trotting through the streets admiring the fall colours with a warm drink in hand. Suddenly, a cool breeze blows, and you can only think of one thing – I should’ve worn a big warm scarf. If there is one accessory better than arm warmers and those cute sweaters that only cover your shoulders, it’s these scarves. Plain, patterned, chunky knit, fine knit, colourful – ANY scarf will do this fall.

6 | The “sweet-and-simple” Trench Coat

Trench coats have been a thing for years! This is your sign to finally get one and join the club to achieve the most effortless, minimalistic, put-together look with just one coat. If you have one already, then a leather trench coat might be the one for you. Get the same stylish look in a different font!

7 | The “one-for-each-finger” Rings

Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! Take your cute outfits to the next level with jewellery that makes a statement. My personal favourite right now is chunky, abstract rings that give my perfect outfits a little touch of imperfection. If that isn’t your thing, opting for classy rings will do the trick!

8 | The “made-for-walking” Boots

Owning at least one pair of boots is a must for fall. Whether that be heeled boots, chunky boots, colourful boots or knee-high boots, everyone needs a pair. Here are some pairs I find cute, but boots are very personal to everyone’s preferences so choose one that resonates with your needs. If you are a long walker, then opt for something with a shorter heel and more sole support!

9 | The “teddy-bear” Aviator Jacket

Let me tell you, I am guilty of owning at least four of these jackets and don’t regret any of them. That’s all I have to say about this one. Coming from a connoisseur of aviator jackets, trust me when I say you need one!

10 | The “sweater-for-my-limbs” warmers

Whether it’s leg warmers, cropped sweaters or arm warmers, I think everyone needs at least one of each. For days when it’s just chilly enough to get by without a jacket but also cold enough to need to keep a little warm, these are your best bet.

11 | The Beanie “with-a-personality”

Everyone has a basic solid beanie, but this fall, try adding one of these beanies to your wardrobe. Crochet beanies can add that little bit of personality to your outfits, making them one to remember!

👗 Related: Why You Shouldn’t Give Up Your Dresses In The Winter:
Fatima Raza

Toronto MU '25

Hi! I enjoy writing and telling stories. Stay tuned to see some of my works :)