The Best Lyrics On Camila Cabello’s Romance Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Camila Cabello’s second album Romance deeply expressed the world of love and heartbreak through her eyes. After her first debut album, the second one was a big change of atmosphere for her. She was vulnerable and expressive when writing this album, so much so, that it probably was one of her best. Each song encompasses a different emotion, and when focusing on the lyrics, you really envision what Camila was going through when writing these songs. 

When Romance was released in 2019, it debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 chart, which was dated Dec. 21, 2019. Her album gained more than 770 million streams while her music videos gained 315 million views.

Here are the best lyrics from each of her songs in Romance.  

“Shameless”
“and i’m tired of loving somebody that’s not mine”

Loving someone who cannot be yours, for whatever the reason is, is always difficult. In “Shameless“, Camila opens up about her feelings rather than keeping them to herself. She wants to go all-in, but at the same time, he is not hers to love. It is hard to have feelings for someone who you know is not yours. She tries to get his attention by confessing how she really feels about him. 

“Living Proof”
“Show me your demons, and I might show you mine”

The first stage of falling in love is always the scariest. Being able to completely open up to your significant other means fully trusting somebody else with your emotions. In this line, Camila goes in-depth about what it feels like to show someone all of you, even the ugly parts. Once you finally share everything with your significant other, it becomes easier to trust and build a stronger relationship with them. 

“Should’ve Said It”
“I was crazy for you, all caught up and confused
Love was broken for me, now it’s broken for you”

Nothing feels worse than when you are finally ready to open up and be with someone and they decide they don’t want you anymore. You do everything for them, and the second you move on and stop begging for their attention, they come running back. 

“My Oh My” feat. DaBaby
“I said, if he kissed me, I might let it happen”

Butterflies and butterflies and butterflies. This is the stage where you start finding someone really attractive but don’t want to make the first move. You want the other to show interest, meaning that you will allow whatever happens to happen. This line really represents that sensation of letting your emotions take over your body.

“Señorita” feat. Shawn Mendes
“You say we’re just friends
But friends don’t know the way you taste”

Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello’s relationship was basically exposed when this song was released. They always said they were just friends and nothing more, but it was clear that their friendship meant more to them as it slowly escalated into a relationship. 

“Liar”
“But what if you kiss me?
And what if I like it?”

That stage where you don’t want to admit you have feelings for someone when you actually do. You try so hard to deny it and hide your feelings, but thinking about that person brings back all the feelings.  

“Bad Kind of Butterflies”
“What do I do when I love you and want somebody else?
What do I lose if I don’t choose and keep it to myself?”

Butterflies are normally supposed to be a good sign of a relationship blooming, but here, Camila explains it’s not necessarily always a good thing. Being with someone while thinking about someone else hurts, especially when you keep it a secret. This is what she painfully expresses through this song.   

“Easy”
“You tell me that you’d rather fight Than spend a single peaceful night with somebody else”

“Easy” is probably one of the most romantic songs on the album. It is so important to find someone that is completely loyal and will not leave you when things get rough. This song really shows all the things you are willing to do when you are truly in love.

“Feel It Twice”
“I don’t know what’s worse, getting broken or making it break”

What is worse? Breaking someone’s heart or getting your heart broken? This line really makes you think about what could possibly be more painful.

“Dream of You”
“So could you stay with me, lay with me Talking about nothing?”

The honeymoon phase of being so in love that the only thing you do is dream about the other person. It is so cute to just lay with someone and talk for hours, not worrying about anything and just enjoying your time together.

“Cry for Me”
“When I said I hope you’re happy, Didn’t mean it,
Never thought you’d be so good at moving on”

Camila shows her petty side in this post-break-up song. She was surprised that someone could forget about her so easily when she clearly hasn’t forgotten about them. After a breakup, you never really wish for the other person to be happy with someone else, and Camila truthfully expresses this through her lyrics.

“This Love”
“Losing you I couldn’t face
But to love you is worse”

Being in a romantic relationship can either be healthy or toxic and sadly, it can sometimes break you because of how unhealthy it is. Also, how do you know when to leave a relationship? It is so hard to lose someone you love, but she expresses how hard it is to also love someone who is not good for you.  

“Used to This”
“Like every tattoo on your skin
I’m memorizing every inch”

That stage of getting used to someone and learning everything about them is a feeling you don’t forget. You start noticing all of their little perks and attributes, like how many tattoos they have. Without realizing it, you start memorizing all the little things about your significant other. 

“First Man”
“You’re looking at me, while walking down the aisle
With tears in your eyes, maybe he deserves me”

The last song of this album is dedicated to her dad. It represents the love she will always have for him despite being in a relationship. It is a very emotional and romantic way of ending the album because it is not necessarily directed towards a significant other but rather towards her dad who she loves and values deeply.

Romance has been released for almost two years now, but it is still one of Camila’s best albums because of the vulnerability and openness she put into it. This album truly describes the stages of meeting your significant other, falling in love and building a relationship together. She chooses the exact words and lyrics throughout her 14 songs that express all of these emotions.

Krishika Jethani

Toronto MU '23

Hi! My name is Krishika and I am a student at Toronto Metropolitan University. I am currently in the Creative Industries program studying Fashion and Journalism. I have a passion for writing and dream to someday become a journalist. I enjoy singing and watching Gilmore Girls in my free time! <3