This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The air is getting chilly; leaves are falling on the ground and early morning frost is starting to coat your car windows. It’s finally starting to feel like fall. If you’re looking for a way to romanticize your daily walks or morning commute, here are the best fall and early-winter albums to get you ready for the season. 

Red By Taylor Swift

It’s not fall until Taylor Swift’s Red begins to play. Originally released in 2012, Red is the epitome of fall with its whirlwind of emotions perfect for whatever mood you’re in. The lead single on the album, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” is the ultimate breakup anthem; but her iconic track “All Too Well” is the ideal soundtrack for a crisp autumn day. Swift expresses the timeline of a relationship that ends in heartbreak, and the fall theme is threaded throughout the lyrics as she sings “autumn leaves falling down like pieces into play.” The pop-country album features some of the best fall-themed music, with lots of leaves and cozy cafe imagery. Swift and her fans are currently awaiting the release of her re-recorded version of Red (Taylor’s Version), which drops Nov. 12. 

by Ed Sheeran

Ed Sheeran’s debut studio album + sets the mood for a late-night drive along a dimly lit street at the end of October. Its popular songs “The A Team”, “Lego House” and “Give Me Love” are hollow, emotional tracks if you’re in a sombre mood. The album also features the song “Autumn Leaves” which is a fall classic, perfect for any autumn Spotify playlist.

Hozier by Hozier

Next up is Hozier’s 2014 self-titled album. Hozier’s complex guitar riffs accompany the romantic mood of the album. The strong percussion, strings and soulful vocals warm you up on a chilly day. The album has one of Hozier’s most popular songs, “Take Me to Church” and also features “Work Song”, “Like Real People Do” and the live version of “Cherry Wine.” Its folksy indie vibes are perfect to chill out to or play in the background when you’re studying for midterms.

The End of Everything by Noah Cyrus

The End of Everything is Noah Cyrus’ second EP. The album has pop, R&B, country and gospel influences and makes you reminisce about the warmer months. In its lead single, “July,” Cyrus sings about a toxic relationship and still loving that person even when she knows they’re hurting her. The album plays with themes of loneliness and youth. Her song “I Got So High That I saw Jesus” is a ballad for a cold, rainy day.

Melodrama by Lorde

Lorde’s second studio album Melodrama has a song for pretty much any mood you’re in. While the colder months can often put us in a sad mood, her single “Green Light” and her song “Supercut” will definitely brighten your mood with their crisp harmonies and gradual climb to a dance-y beat. The album also features songs for quiet moods, like in the sombre piano track “Liability” and the ballad “Writer In The Dark.” 

evermore by Taylor Swift

It’s nearly impossible not to have a second Taylor Swift album on this list; she basically owns fall. Her ninth studio album evermore is the perfect fall-to-winter transition. It’s the best album to romanticize your commute to school. Her heartbreaking track “Champagne Problems” is the perfect song to listen to while dramatically staring out the window on a train at night. Swift unexpectedly dropped the album in Dec. 2020 and sings about heartbreak, the end of a long-term relationship, losing a loved one, and finally, finding “the one.” Her album closes with the song “evermore,” featuring Bon Iver. The song opens with the lyrics “grey November, I’ve been down since July.” evermore is the perfect soundtrack for experiencing winter’s first snowfall with your breath freezing in the air as you speak.

The New Moon Soundtrack

While this may not be considered an album in the traditional sense, it had to make this list. The soundtrack of the second film in the Twilight franchise is a compilation of some of the best cold weather tracks pop culture has to offer. If you’re out on a hike or a walk amid the fall scenery, “Rosyln” by Bon Iver and St. Vincent is the song for you. Its echoey vibe and guitar emulate the season. “Meet Me on the Equinox” by Death Cab for Cutie is a lot more edgy when you put on your platform Doc Martens and an oversized leather jacket. If you’re looking for a soundtrack with different genres and artists, this is a great option. 

Samira Balsara

Toronto MU '23

Samira Balsara is a fourth-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She is interested in pursuing a career as a news anchor or a career in fashion journalism. Apart from writing, she likes music (mainly Taylor Swift), reading and making Pinterest boards.