Life > Academics

The Benefits of Classical Music While Studying 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The new semester is here. That means it’s back to writing essays, doing assignments and studying for exams. 

For some, studying can be difficult and draining. As coursework picks up, it can be hard to focus and find the motivation to study.

If you find yourself distracted or overwhelmed while studying, you should try listening to classical music. Classical music will help you focus, improve productivity and reduce stress. 

According to WebMD, music is known to affect one’s focus and attention, either positively or negatively. They note that music with lyrics is “more likely to cause distraction and problems with concentration.” So, if you can’t focus while studying, it may be time to ditch the pop playlist and try classical music. In comparison to pop, classical music doesn’t have lyrics and is softer in nature, making it a perfect study companion. 

Listening to classical music while studying can also help improve productivity. Entrepreneur suggests that listening to classical music can enhance brain activity, which helps people perform tasks more effectively. College Basics echoes this statement noting that those who listen to classical music while working are 15% more productive than those who don’t. The calming nature of classical music will help you stay focused and productive when studying. 

Classical music is also excellent for studying as it helps reduce stress and improves your mood. We all know studying can be an overwhelming and stressful experience, but listening to classical music will help combat those feelings. According to Symphony Central Coast, classical music causes the heart rate and breathing to slow, which decreases emotional distress. Listening to classical music while studying will help lessen anxiety and make your tasks more enjoyable. 

The new semester is the perfect time to create a study playlist filled with classical music. Not sure where to start? Check out some of my favourite classical music songs below! 

Mother and Son by John Williams
River Flows in You by Yiruma 
Piano Sonata No.11 in A major, K. 331: III. Alla turca by Mozart
Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major BWV 1007:1, Prelude by Bach 
Symphonie espagnole, Op. 21: V. Rondo Allegro by Edouard Lalo

Happy studying! 

👯‍♀️ Related: Classical Music: A Studying Game-Changer
Julia Gianfelice

Toronto MU '25

Julia is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University.