Vogue magazine on desk with coffee beside it.
Original photo by Samira Balsara

The Bella Effect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Few people could make pajamas trendy, but Bella Hadid somehow manages to make it work.

In September, she stepped out onto the streets of New York City in a pair of white boxer shorts, an oversized jacket and chunky platform UGG boots just to grab a slice of pizza. Sounds like a fairly average thing to do, but somehow, Bella was able to take an everyday, inexpensive activity and turn it into a chic aesthetic.

Almost immediately, the style of UGGs began selling out, with barely any sizes available, and with TikToks emerging recreating her look.

This isn’t the first time something like this has happened. Bella is slowly becoming the ultimate influencer. From a simple white tank top, being coined the “Bella Hadid tank top,” or food recipes suddenly being associated with her, she’s influential in more ways than one.

Her influence starts with her street style.

Bella has the ability to elevate simple looks that virtually anyone could recreate. She perfectly accessorizes each look effortlessly and creates looks that are super authentic to her.

Whether it’s a Y2K-esque low-rise jean and crop top vibe with a skinny pair of sunglasses, a classic “model-off-duty” athleisure look, or a perfectly coordinated ensemble to head to an event, Bella knows what she’s doing.

She’s been open about styling herself, which I think makes people admire her style even more. 

Bella manages to impact her followers in other areas of life.

Recently, she’s begun posting recipes on her TikTok page, which have amassed millions of views. The hashtag #bellahadidsandwhich has garnered about 2.8 million views on TikTok. If it’s not with the food she makes, Bella also knows how to make fun of herself and follows social media trends, making her more relatable to her Gen Z following. 

Earlier this year, photos of her pumping gas in low-rise grey Nike pants and a long sleeve crop top went viral, starting a TikTok trend of people pretending to do the same. Bella was quick to join in on the trend herself, playing into the joke.

While Bella is always on the newest trend and has managed to perfect her social media presence with behind-the-scenes photos of her extravagant life, she also uses her platform to discuss ongoing world issues. 

Bella shows continuous support for the country Palestine, where her father, Mohamed Hadid, was born.

In June, she posted on Instagram saying, “I will never allow anyone to forget about our beautiful Palestine, or our beautiful people.”

Over the past few years, Bella has spoken up about Palestine even more. She joined the march for Palestine in New York City, shared a letter against apartheid and continues to share photos and videos of alleged unprovoked violence between the Israel Defense Forces and Palestinians. In March, she and her sister, Gigi Hadid, announced they would be donating their Fashion Week earnings to organizations providing aid in Ukraine and Palestine.

Bella’s popularity only continues to grow. This past Fashion Month, she walked in 21 shows such as Versace, Coperni (the spray-on dress was everything), Thom Browne and Michael Kors. 

She even recently made her acting debut in Hulu’s Ramy, and on top of everything, Bella is continuing to expand her energy drink business, Kin Euphorics

It’s safe to say that we will continue to look at her for inspiration in our day-to-day lives— and I’m not mad about it at all.

🥪 Related: Bella Hadid’s Sandwich Tutorial Is Unhinged, But Delicious
Samira Balsara

Toronto MU '23

Samira Balsara is a fourth-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She is interested in pursuing a career as a news anchor or a career in fashion journalism. Apart from writing, she likes music (mainly Taylor Swift), reading and making Pinterest boards.