This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

COVID has truly demonstrated how most work can be done digitally at home. When the pandemic hit, many companies were forced to operate remotely.

While it was stressful and worrisome for most people at first, it became apparent that employers can work just as well at home as they do in the office. 

When I first started my job, I worked in person at an office. While it was a great experience meeting new people and having my own setup, I quickly realized how working remotely would make everything so much easier. I was thankful that the office had great amenities such as an in-house cafe and commissary as well as a gym. But nothing beats waking up five minutes before work.

Towards the end of the summer, I had the opportunity of working remotely. Although some days felt less productive than others, I’ve complied a list of reasons why I prefer working from home than in-office.

1. No commuting 

While the office was only about 9 km away from my house, I was still spending between 20-30 minutes driving to and from work each day. I strongly despised my commute as I knew that I could’ve been more productive working from my room. Not having to commute eliminated the stress of having to worry about getting to the office on time. Additionally, it helped minimize my carbon footprint. 

1. Reduced stress

As an introvert, I was so used to being in my own bubble after staying home for many months, so much so that my social anxiety would start to kick in. When I began working remotely, I appreciated the fact that I could still speak and interact with my colleagues without having to be face-to-face. Overall, working from home made me devote more time to improving my mental health, providing me with a better work-life balance. 

1. Saving time getting ready for work

Not only was I saving time from commuting but I was also spending less time getting ready for work. Now that I didn’t have to put on makeup or spend time choosing my outfits, which sometimes contributed to my work stress, I had a lot more time to myself in the morning.

1. Saving money

Working from home allowed me to save money on gas, which began adding up because of my everyday commute. Some days I also had to pay for parking (depending on what time I worked). Since we had an in-house cafe and commissary at my work, I was spending money on lunches and breakfasts, too. However, when I began working from home, I was able to eliminate all of these expenses.

1. Increased productivity 

While I thought working from home would affect my productivity, it actually boosted it. I had the ability to design my own workspace in a way that made me feel more productive and comfortable. Since I felt less stressed working from home, I didn’t feel as distracted.

Erica Su

Toronto MU '24

Erica is a Creative Industries student at Ryerson University specializing in business and communications. During her free time, she loves to cook up a storm in the kitchen, play 8 ball pool, and re-watch her all-time favourite shows such as Selling Sunset.