Style > Beauty

Testing Viral Lip Products – Do they live up to the hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Many viral lip products have been popping up on social media recently, and I decided to test them so you don’t have to. Here are my thoughts:

Laneige Lip Mask

The Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C is widely popular on social media and has been for many years now, retailing for $29 CAD. It comes in different flavours; I got the original berry one. It comes with a small plastic envelope with a delicate applicator. The lip mask has been raved about across platforms, but with its price point I waited a bit before making the purchase and, to be honest, I could have gone without it. Personally, I found it sticky and it had a very artificial feeling on my lips. I found that the product would need re-application every hour if I put a smaller amount. If I put a bit more, I felt like it just laid on top of my lips not doing much in terms of hydration. This product has amazing reviews, so I was shocked with my findings; I just don’t think it lives up to the hype. Therefore, I would recommend that you sample this lip mask before you buy it.

laneige
Sephora
Glossier Balm Dotcom

To summarize, this is an okay product. It gets the job done, but I wouldn’t particularly recommend it. The packaging is fun, it looks light and natural on the lips, and it smells good. However, the design is impractical because the product shoots out with a soft touch. I purchased the Mango flavour for $15 CAD, which comes with 05. fl oz. It feels like Vaseline (petroleum jelly) and doesn’t have a luxurious feel.

Clarins Lip Oil

I love this lip oil. It has a beautiful pigment without being too strong and feels so comfortable and hydrating on the lips. It doesn’t feel sticky and it’s moisturizing. I have the shade 04 Pitaya, which is a lovely pink. It also comes in various warm tones, berry shades, and a gloss that adapts to your natural lip colour.

Aquaphor

Aquaphor is the best! The Aquaphor Topical Ointment sells at an affordable price and has a massive range of use; it’s hard to beat. It is a staple in many people’s routines and has been around since 1925. Aquaphor can moisturize the face (including lips and eyelids) and treat and prevent dry, itchy, rough skin. It’s convenient because it comes in different sizes. I love to slip the small size in my purse, and I have a big tub in my washroom. It absorbs really well on the skin, unlike Vaseline.

Maybelline Lifter Gloss

The Lifter Gloss is super thick and sticky, so I find that it makes your lips look plumper. This line of Maybelline glosses are a great dupe for the Fenty Gloss Bombs. I don’t particularly appreciate how it transfers very easily and is constantly sticking to my hair.

Well, these were my thoughts on some of the most hyped-up lip products out there. What do you think about them?

Sakina Chaudary

Toronto MU '24

Fourth year journalism student based in Toronto.