This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As each year goes by, growing older and more forlorn, my mind constantly ponders my childhood — I’m sure many of you can relate. A lot of us ache with the misery of adulthood.

What happened to being a happy child?” We wonder daily.

Life used to be grand and colourful. The world was always too big and endless, and we wanted to soak up every second while our feet were still on the ground.

We used to imagine the thrills of being where we are now, thinking it’d be some glorious adventure; we couldn’t wait to grow up. Now, how much would we give just to spend a day as a naive child? To spend a day in our old Skechers, playing with our friends at the park after school, running around, kicking sand and not thinking about why we’re alive but just living?

We think that the joy and carelessness we once felt are gone, and maybe that’s true. But there are a few ways we can revive our childhood emotions, even in the smallest ways:

Watching Cartoons

Simple, yet effective. Many shows directed toward young audiences are actually super interesting and fun to watch. On top of that, they’re great ways to relieve stress and relive childhood memories of watching our favourite cartoons after school, helping us feel like a kid again.

Cartoons are typically less dramatic than adult shows, not to mention more fun. With characters like Bugs Bunny from Looney Tunes or D.W. from Arthur, you’ll find yourself laughing a ton — just because they’re made for kids doesn’t mean adults can’t enjoy them too!

Hilarious and cute (and occasionally suspenseful) cartoons like Star vs. the Forces of Evil and Gravity Falls are a breath of fresh air among all the realistic, repetitive shows and spin-offs made for young adults. The ones I’ve mentioned here—from Looney Tunes to Gravity Falls—are all great choices, especially if you enjoyed them when you were younger.

Rainbow Star Butterfly GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Playing Outside

Whether it’s playing in the park you used to visit every day after school or in the backyard with all your old outdoor toys, playing outside is a great way to feel like a kid again by relieving stress and keeping us energetic.

A few days ago, when walking home, my sister and I—both well past childhood—were surrounded by blankets of untouched snow. Just like that, we were kids again, walking home from school every day through endless piles of snow, trudging home like vagabonds in snow pants and pink snow boots. The two of us traced shapes with our footprints, held snow in our bare hands (I couldn’t remember the last time I’d actually touched snow), and made snowballs.

While it was only for a few minutes, we both kept thinking about how much this little activity reminded us of our childhood. Needless to say, we enjoyed ourselves and greatly enjoyed rediscovering our fading youth.

Do Something You Always Wanted to as a Kid

We all probably have a list of things we wanted to do when we were kids that we were never able to do. Whether it’s buying yourself something you desperately wanted as a kid—like a huge LEGO set or a Nintendo console—or going on a little adventure you dreamed of having—like a scavenger hunt or stargazing in the park—treating your inner child can help you reignite dreams and passions you may have abandoned along the way, not to mention increase your contentment.

If it would have made you happy as a child, there’s a good chance it might make you happy now. Isn’t that reason enough?

Going to Build-a-Bear

If making your own stuffed animal sounds lame to you, then I don’t know what to tell you. Just last year, for the first time in a long time, I went to Build-a-Bear with one of my closest friends. Oh my God, what a blast.

True, we opted for the cheapest bear there, but we still had so much fun. We stuffed our bears together, did that goofy little ritual (spinning, making a wish and whatnot), and chose little outfits for them too. Even naming them after two fictional characters, Wylan and Harry, and getting that “birth certificate” added to the experience.

Trust me, if you need a pick-me-up, head to Build-a-Bear with one of your favourite people and bask in the joys of childhood.

Loving the World Again

The world tends to be horrible, yes. War and hate and abrupt ends. Bad places and even worse people.

But this is the very same world in which dogs chase balls in playgrounds, slobbering tongues hanging from their mouths. This is the same world where you met your best friend and discovered that light could have its own laugh. This is the same world in which the sun and moon shine their light every day and night; where flowers and trees sprout from the very ground that holds us, forming from mere seeds, seeds; where humans hold the door for one another, dance to the music they make, wear matching shoes, and create art for themselves and the world around them; where we spend every day living, living because we’re here and we have to but also because we want to give our mother another hug; because our pets refuse to let us so much as breathe without them; because we haven’t read all the books that have been nurtured into existence; because we want to know how the moon will look tomorrow; because laughing with our friends until we can’t breathe makes living, plain old living, worth living.

We’ve bled for this world and for this life. It’s hard at times, so excruciating that we suffocate under the weight of our own existence. But the beauty of it, the things we love, no matter how little or how few, make the pain forgivable, just for a while.

Why is this Important?

Even if you had a difficult childhood, rediscovering your inner child can help your healing process and maybe help you face the emotions you once found difficult. Your inner child could use a nice hug, and perhaps you could use a hug from your inner child. 

Being gentle with your inner child also helps you become more gentle with yourself now. Would you berate that young nine-year-old with bright eyes and a full (and occasionally heavy) heart immortalized in your photo albums for making an honest mistake? What makes present-you any less worthy of understanding?

Yes, you’re not that young child anymore; you’ve grown. But they live in you, don’t they? They haven’t disappeared, only merged into the person you’ve become today. That child still exists — would it be fair to neglect them?

All in all, tending to our inner child helps us as adults to grow and better ourselves while also introducing new ways for us to be happy. For most, if not all of us, that’s exactly what we need.

Sariya Adnan

Toronto MU '24

Sariya Adnan is currently an English student at TMU. She's been writing her whole life and hopes to use words to create a positive impact on others and the world around her.