Reservation Dogs: Indigenous Representation & Humour At The ImagineNATIVE Film Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival prepared for a remarkable night that promised to be a turning point in Indigenous media and entertainment. The spotlight shined on FX’s groundbreaking series Reservation Dogs at a special TV watch party for their final season. 

Festivalgoers experienced the significance of the show’s portrayal of Indigenous teens in rural Oklahoma, its impact on Indigenous representation in the media environment, and the unique brand of humour it brings to the screen.

Reservation Dogs, a show created by Sterlin Harjo and Taika Waititi, brought a fresh new perspective to the esteemed imagineNATIVE Film Festival. The show follows the lives of four teenagers living on the fringe of society while challenging the reductive cliches about reservations in a humorous way. 

Festivalgoers participated in a Q&A with showrunner Sterlin Harjo about the final season. During a discussion about the secrets behind the show’s unique brand of humour with co-producer and writer Migizi Pensoneau, audience members quickly learned that humour is a central part of Reservation Dogs

“It doesn’t matter the context of it; we all have each other backs narratively… It feels right to use humour, so that’s how we told the story,” said Pensoneau.

The show employs comedy to strike a balance between its lightheartedness and the more serious issues that impact Indigenous peoples. 

Pensoneau shared a glimpse into the upcoming season, saying, “At the end of season two, the teens have healed their own hurts, and that healing ripples out to the rest of the community in season three.” 

This season promises to be an exciting end to a remarkable series that has made an unforgettable impact on Indigenous storytelling.

As you binge-watch the final episodes of Reservation Dogs, prepare for a journey filled with laughter and, perhaps, a few tears along the way.

Kassandra Guevara

Toronto MU '26

Kassandra, a second-year journalism student, is a passionate traveller who can't resist the allure of social media, live music, and exploring the vibrant streets of Toronto. Kassandra can be found dancing to the rhythm of concerts and enthusiastically sharing her adventures and vibrant moments of the city she loves. Find her on Instagram @kassandraguevara_