This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

A city that never sleeps is a polite way of describing Toronto. With its vibrant variety of cultures, food and activities, Toronto wouldn’t let you sleep even if you wanted to. It demands to be explored with a range of sites to meet each and every one of your interests. As summer is near approaching, Toronto wakes up from its far too lengthy winter months, and the city is finally seeing its colour again. For a new Torontonian, summer in the city can be overwhelming with the never-ending opportunities of things to do. Here are my top five places to visit to familiarize yourself and come to know some of the city’s most worthy attractions. Consider this your Toronto orientation. 

Queen Street West 

Queen Street West is the most inviting street in Toronto. It’s actually in the top 10 coolest neighbourhoods in the world, according to Vogue magazine! The long street varies from coffee shops, restaurants, bars and vintage shops. Basically anything you can think of, there’s probably a store for it. One of the main elements that makes Queen Street West so appealing is the broad variety of cuisines that can act as a medicine to the homesick feeling of being in a new city. Now, some of my personal favourite spots on Queen Street include the bagels at Bloomers, thrifting at Black Market Clothing, coffee at Cafe 23 (with a gorgeous patio open for the season), Terroni or Raku for dinner and Fresh, PLANTA or Hello 123 for the vegetarian/vegan folks! In addition to the stream of shops which are packed tightly next to one another is one of the beautiful, well known parks in Toronto, Trinity Bellwoods Park. Located in the heart of Queen Street West, Trinity Bellwoods is the summer park, where festivals, thrift pop-ups and live concerts often occur. Queen Street West is the heat of this summer. 

Distillery District 

While the Distillery District is infamously known for their annual Christmas Market, it is still a site worth visiting in the summertime. With the sunny warm weather, the Distillery District offers a variety of patios to grab a cool drink or some iced coffee, perfect for getting a look around the district. Arena Coffee and Arvo Coffee are some of the most popular spots for summer visits. Ok now you’ve had a drink, what’s next? The Distillery is filled with local businesses where you can find clothing, baked goods, handcrafted jewelry shops, art galleries; they have it all! And finally, if you’re looking for an even more intimate look at the district, there are tours available, but not on foot… on a segway! A host will guide you along the fascinating history and significance of the Distillery District so you can ride around and explore the fantastic buildings, statues and architecture. Next time you can’t decide on what to do with your day, consider the Distillery District for a package of things to do. 

St. Lawrence Market

Many Torontonians know the St. Lawrence market for one thing… the food! (as you see Toronto is quite the city for any foodie!) Not only can you explore a variety of shops to buy all the groceries you can imagine, there are also food stops for things such as crepes, sandwiches, baked goods, fresh produce, cheeses, honey, and now I’m getting hungry. They also hold a weekly farmers market, which is the perfect place to look for your fresh seasonal produce. Now that you’re probably stuffed, St. Lawrence Market also offers cooking classes, where you and a friend can learn how to make various dishes and fine-tune your culinary skills. Besides its versatility, St. Lawrence Market holds a lot of history in Toronto, being built in 1803. Overall, come prepared to try lots of different foods, which if you’re gonna call yourself a Torontonian, really is required.

Ed Mirvish Theatre 

Calling all musical theatre lovers! Ed Mirvish Theatre has held some of the best musicals that Toronto has seen with its extended history and beautiful infrastructure. Shows such as Wicked, Rent, Grease, Aladdin and Come From Away have all sung their way through the iconic theatre. With the COVID-19 pandemic, business was tricky for the beloved theatre and its performers, yet now they are back and better than ever. For a lively evening in the city, a ticket to an Ed Mirvish Theatre show will be the perfect harmony (get it…harmony!) of relaxation and entertainment.

Casa Loma

Last but not least on the list is the stunning Gothic revival style mansion called Casa Loma. A staple part of the city, Casa Loma allows visitors inside to explore a museum style tour of the building. The stunning mansion offers different rooms, tunnels, galleries, exhibits and more for people to walk around and explore. In addition to the frequent visits from tourists, Casa Loma is often rented for events such as weddings in its equally beautiful garden, known for its breathtaking scenery. Finally, after your historically rich visit, there are restaurants waiting for you as well. A fun fact is that the Casa Loma building is featured in the 2010 movie, Scott Pilgrim vs The World which is a quintessential film for the people of Toronto, as it takes viewers across various famous spots around the city. 

Overall, this city can be intimidating. I first moved here in 2009 and thought I’d never be able to see everything, and I was right. After over 10 years of living in Toronto, I still find new spots and places to visit, which allows my curiosity for the city to live forever. If you’re new to Toronto, don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of things soon. Because the reality is, this really is a city that never, ever sleeps. 

Olga Bergmans

Toronto MU '25

My name is Olga Bergmans and I am a second-year journalism student at TMU University! When I’m not writing, you’ll most likely catch me at a coffee shop downtown Toronto, or exploring different food spots in the city!