Style

Need a Study Break? Check out These 5 Toronto Pop-Up Markets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As the weather gets warmer and you’re itching to get outside and do something other than cram for your finals or finish those end of term essays, you might as well use your study break to support local Toronto vendors and businesses! Here is a list of five Toronto pop-up markets you’ll want to check out.

1. St. Lawrence Sunday Antique Market 

The St. Lawrence Sunday Antique Market is a pop-up you won’t want to miss. Collectors from all over the country come to the historic old Toronto landmark to buy from vendors who sell everything from vintage shoes to old film cameras. The market is open from 7a.m. to 4 p.m. every Sunday. People line up bright and early in the morning to get first grabs on what the vendors unbox when the doors open, so it’s best to arrive at least a couple hours before the market closes.

2. St. Lawrence Farmers Market

While the antique market happens every Sunday, the farmer’s market is your Saturday go-to spot for fresh produce. Unlike the Antique market, the farmer’s market is hosted right inside the historic St. Lawrence market building and runs from 5 a.m. to 3 p.m. 

3. St. Clair Flea Market 

Arguably, this market is a hidden gem within the city. Located in the northern part of the city’s midtown, the St. Clair Flea Market is a small space that is open everyday except Monday. If you’re looking to find cheap and affordable vintage pieces for your next thrift haul, this place is definitely worth looking into. The market has a Facebook page you can follow for updates, but it’s best to see its stock in-store.

4. Hippie Market 

Originally a pop-up outdoor market that was held during the summer months, the Hippie Market has found a venue to support its sellers in the Bloor and Ossington area. The market isn’t open every week, so it’s best to monitor its social media and website for upcoming dates at their venue, located at 100 Ossington St.

5. Leslieville Flea Market 

According to its website, the Leslieville Flea Market did its first pop-up in a parking lot. Now, the market has pop-ups at several locations across the city throughout the year and hosts an impressive group of local artisans and collectors to shop from. Luckily, they have an upcoming pop-up market in the Distillery District that runs from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 24.

It’s no doubt you’re probably overworked at this point in the semester. But taking advantage of living in or near the city can definitely give you a fun study break that’s also beneficial to the local communities around you. Even though you won’t be studying, you’ll still feel productive!  

Alina Snisarenko

Toronto MU '23

Originally from Russia but Toronto-based for the past 14 years, Alina is a third-year journalism student at Ryerson University. From fashion to politics, she loves intersecting her passions into one story! If she's not playing guitar, thrifting, or engrossed in a fantasy novel, you'll probably find her writing about her latest idea for a short story!