Navigating Ramadan As A University Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As Ramadan approaches, the anticipation and excitement among Muslims for this holy month is growing each day. Ramadan marks the month when the Quran was revealed to the Prophet Muhammadﷺ more than 1,400 years ago. During this month, Muslims fast from dawn until sunset. 

From 3 a.m. suhoors to late-night prayers for 30 days straight, some students may find it challenging to keep up with school while giving their full attention to Ramadan. It’s important to remember that Ramadan is supposed to be an exciting month for Muslims, which we look forward to all year long. Still, it can be physically exhausting for many students, especially commuters who have to start their day earlier. 

As Muslims, our priority during this month should be Ramadan, which is easier said than done, so here are some tips that have helped me: 

Suhoor

Suhoor, the meal we eat at dawn, helps get us through the day. It’s important not to sleep through it or skip it, as it will make the day a lot more challenging than it should be.

Foods that are rich in fibre are recommended as they keep you full for longer. Meal prepping the night before helps, so you don’t get too lazy to cook at 3 a.m. For example, in my household, a dish we regularly have during suhoor is Ful Mudammas, an Egyptian bean dish that is full of fibre and protein. 

Iftar

Iftar is the meal we break our fast with when the sun sets. The Prophet Muhammadﷺ used to break his fast with one or three dates and water, so it’s only fitting that Muslims follow his teachings; this is known as a sunnah.

Dates are easily digestible, making them a good and fast source of energy, which is needed after a long day of fasting. A tip is to bring dates and water with you just in case you are on campus when the sun sets and you need to break your fast there.

I also suggest having dates during suhoor because it has a lot of nutritional benefits that could help you get through the day. 

productivity

Regarding school, it’s important not to be harsh on yourself during Ramadan. Understandably, you would find it hard to focus on exams and assignments when fasting. Many students get burnt out or exhausted, which can affect productivity and grades.

What helps is planning out my days ahead of time. For example, I plan to do assignments or readings before sunset so that when it does set, I can focus on breaking my fast and completing my Tarwaeeh prayer — a voluntary night prayer performed every night during Ramadan. 

Many Muslims make it a habit to stay up until suhoor during Ramadan, which will ultimately lead to feeling more burnt out and sleep-deprived. It’s important to get enough sleep during this month, especially because we already feel less energetic due to the lack of nutrition during the day, so not getting enough sleep will only make it worse and will also affect your productivity throughout the day. 

religious TIPS ON CAMPus

Muslim women who don’t wear the hijab should bring their prayer clothes to campus so they don’t risk missing their prayers. This is also a habit you can bring with you outside of Ramadan.

Make sure you are praying all five of your prayers. There are empty and accessible rooms on campus if you aren’t able to make it to the prayer rooms on time.

Toronto Metropolitan University’s Muslim Students Association usually hosts many events during the month of Ramadan, such as halaqahs and iftars, so if you’re on campus, make sure you keep an eye out for those events!

Ramadan is the holiest month on the Islamic calendar and is considered one of the most sacred times for Muslims worldwide. It’s important that during this month, we set our intentions and try to accomplish all our goals.

As students, some of us may find it hard to stay focused throughout the month while juggling university work, so it’s important you take it one day at a time. Don’t overwork yourself or feel the need to overcompensate for adjustments in your daily schedule during Ramadan!

Raghad Genina

Toronto MU '26

Hello! My name is Raghad and I am a journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. My deep-rooted passion for journalism is a testament to my commitment to the truth and giving a voice to the voiceless. When I'm not doing my uni work I'm either scrolling on tiktok or writing!