Life > Experiences

Countdown to Ramadan: A Guide for International Students on Embracing the Holy Month Away From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Ramadan is approaching in less than a week, and as an international student, I am sure many others are filled with anticipation and excitement.

Mainly because this month acts as a reset button for many of us; there were still many things I found difficult to do on my own for the first time last year during this sacred time. From home-cooked meals to shared prayers and gatherings with loved ones, amongst many other things, I found myself reminiscing. Yet, I still managed to find a way around my worries.

Through this guide, I hope to remind you of the importance of Ramadan, along with my advice on how to overcome the obstacles and challenges that you might face! 

What is Ramadan?

Ramadan is the ninth and holiest month in the Islamic calendar, by the sight of the crescent moon. It’s the month of fasting (sawm), reflection, prayer (salat), introspection, giving, and many other beautiful deeds, all completed with pure intentions. 

Muslims worldwide are obligated to recognize this month and begin fasting from sunrise to sunset every day. This means we are restrained from food and drink (yes, water, too!) during these hours. 

It’s considered a form of spiritual discipline to feel empathy for the less fortunate among those who are well-off while recognizing the privileges that often go unnoticed. 

“The month of Ramadan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur’an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So, whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey — then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful.”

[Al-Baqarah 2:185]

The importance of Ramadan

In Islam, fasting goes beyond mere hunger and thirst; it purifies the spirit by gaining a closer connection to God (Allah SWT). Ramadan also reminds us of the importance of kindheartedness, patience, and forgiveness. 

It’s important to showcase acts of kindness by giving to charity and spreading love for yourself and those around you. Patience and self-discipline are also crucial through any obstacle that you face, whether it be big or small. 

Lastly, forgiveness is essential during this holy month as Allah (SWT) is the most merciful; therefore, holding grudges and feeling uneasy should feel unnecessary. 

Aside from fasting, Muslims are obligated to pray five times a day all year round. 

However, during Ramadan, many Muslims believe that praying earns them greater rewards than any other time of the year as one deepens their connection with Allah (SWT) through invocation (Duaa) to seek guidance and forgiveness. You can find prayer timings based on your location here!

The Effects on International Students Observing Ramadan and My Advice

As international students, observing Ramadan comes with many challenges. This includes the hours of fasting, devoting precious time to developing a stronger connection with Allah (SWT), and balancing your social and academic life. 

Simultaneously, you’re also still trying to find time to speak to your loved ones back home and scrambling to find a meal to eat for iftar (the meal you eat at sunset) and suhoor (the meal you eat before sunrise).

Similar to last year, this year, Ramadan falls during the most rigorous month of the semester for students. You are handing in last-minute assignments, completing midterms, or preparing for finals and acknowledging people’s different daily routines as well.

Here’s my advice to you from someone who has experienced Ramadan for the first time away from home:

Remind yourself of the importance of Ramadan

Constantly remind yourself of the importance of Ramadan and turn the struggle of being away from home into an opportunity. All the negativity that you might feel is in your head. Make it your ultimate goal to take this month to work on your personal and spiritual growth. 

Plan your meals

Plan your meals ahead of time, as it can be hard to think of something to cook or order minutes before breaking your fast. Instead of going through the hassle, do your grocery shopping ahead of time and meal prep!

However, as much as you crave junk food throughout your fast, it’s important to fuel your body with nutritious foods and plenty of water… and don’t forget your dates!

plan out your day

As a student, your sleep schedule may feel inconsistent, and you may find it hard to get through the day when observing Ramadan. 

Personally, I was able to strategically manage my sleeping patterns by taking short naps throughout the day, and when my body was fueled, I found that I was more productive. Using this approach, I was able to make the most of my study sessions during the evening and was more motivated to attend my lectures. 

Stay connected with family

Despite the physical distance, staying connected with your family and friends is one of the most important things to do. It provides a sense of comfort and connection that makes the month a lot easier to get through. 

Create new traditions

One of my biggest tips would be to find joy in the small moments. Something that kept me from feeling lonely or disconnected was creating new traditions. 

Go out to a nice dinner with your friends or host an iftar gathering; there’s so much you can do to continue making this month a special one!

Reflect on your experience

Finally, don’t forget to reflect on your experience; everyone learns different lessons and grows in their own way. With everything that you have gained from this month, carry them forward through your daily routine. 

Overall, these special 30 days are concentrated on a deeply rooted spiritual journey that can completely change one’s outlook on life. It’s a sacred and valuable reminder of what is truly important. 

Ramadan Kareem to you and your loved ones. May it be filled with blessings, strength and prosperity!

Dahab Shakoura

Toronto MU '26

Dahab is a second-year journalism student with a minor in marketing. Her heart beats for PR, social media, and the power of storytelling. With a deep love for travel, music, and a strong connection to her Palestinian roots, she's on a mission to amplify voices and share stories that matter. Find her on Instagram @dahab.shakoura