This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Warning: spoilers ahead!

Directed by Traci Hays and written by Eliza Hayes Maher, this movie illustrates how difficult it can be to be a single woman on Valentine’s Day. Even worse is to break up with your partner before Valentine’s Day.

In My Bloody Galentine, Ella Rae Smith plays the lead character, Jadyn. She is a young girl from the U.S. who accepts her dream job offer as a social media influencer at Glow Beauty in London, England. This women-run company produces seasonal anti-aging products for women, like the Glow Love Mask. It uses LED lights to fight aging and promotes collagen. 

Jaydn is dating a fitness trainer named Ray and everything is going well in her life. The couple celebrate Jadyn’s new job by having dinner and discussing their relationship — with Jadyn asking him to move in with her. Suddenly, she is heartbroken when Ray tells her he wants to break up.

On her first day at Glow Beauty, her boss, Dominique, introduces Jadyn to two other women, Brandi and Alex. Dominique assigns the three women to work together on an upcoming party called the “Galentine Day Gala” for Valentine’s Day.

She tells them that this party’s purpose is to celebrate their female friendship and isn’t about celebrating men. The three women hesitated to work on this project as their exes had dumped them a few days before Valentine’s Day.

However, the three women decide to take revenge against their exes and begin to plot. Alex publishes a defamatory article about her ex-boyfriend’s cooking skills with the help of a writer, Jadyn adds dairy to her ex-boyfriend’s energy drink before he goes to a live workout session, and Brandi attempts to add permanent ink into her boyfriend’s tanning spray but never gets a chance. 

The day before the Valentine’s Day party, Brandi’s ex is burned and murdered at a tanning salon while Alex goes missing. In this part, their boss, Dominique, confesses to Alex that she knew about their revenge plots on their ex-boyfriends, saying, “I did it all for you because we are meant to be friends and tonight, with a little help, we finish the job.”

At the Galentine Day Gala party, Dominique wants to kill the two men working at Glow Beauty, a photographer and a party entertainer, in front of the audience. Her plot does not go as planned. She gets arrested and sent to jail instead.

Overall, I wouldn’t say I liked this movie. I would not recommend that young people watch this because it sends a negative message of hatred, revenge, and other evil ideas. People might get the wrong message from this movie and apply it to their relationships. Putting it this way, was it even worth making this movie in the first place?

I like Jadyn’s mindset towards the idea of revenge as she seems innocent and kind and has a heart filled with love in this movie. She shows disinterest in taking revenge on her ex-boyfriend by saying revenge is for the weak and tries to persuade the other two women not to plot against their exes. 

Mijgon Azim

Toronto MU '25

A student at TMU.