This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As the weather gets colder, I find myself wanting to spend my nights at home in my PJs with a steaming mug of hot chocolate in my hand. After a long, hard day, all you want to do is relax and destress, and what better way to do that than with musicals?

So, if you’re looking for recommendations for feel-good movie musicals to end off your night, you’ve come to the right place. Here are some of my favourites to watch on nights in:

Mamma Mia! (2008) & Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018)

Both these movies never fail to get me singing and dancing. The music of ABBA is perfectly encapsulated in these movies and they’ll never get old. These movies are cheesy, fun, romantic, dramatic and everything in between! Honestly, just watch it – you won’t regret it!

The Sound of Music (1965)

This movie is one of my favourite things and is based on the true story of the von Trapp family singers and their governess Maria, who made up a famous musical group prior to WWII. It honestly would not be a movie musical list without including this classic into the mix.

Phantom of the Opera (2004)

Based on the 1986 musical of the same name, this movie follows Christine, a young and upcoming opera singer who captures the attention of a masked, mysterious figure who haunts the opera house. Sometimes we need a little opera in our lives!

Hamilton (2020)

As a musical theatre fan, I was so excited when this movie came out. It isn’t technically a movie musical, but rather a Broadway musical filmed over three performances. It’s a great way to bring a little NYC Broadway into your home! I’d be lying if I said I didn’t know all the lyrics to this musical.

The Pitch Perfect Trilogy (2012, 2015 and 2017)

You either love or hate the Pitch Perfect Trilogy, but you can’t deny that the songs and mashups are pretty catchy. The trilogy follows the Barden Bellas acapella group as they navigate through college and life. Their covers of “Cups” and “Since U Been Gone” lives in my mind rent free. And let’s not forget the iconic cups trend that we all learned in 2012.

The Greatest Showman (2017)

This movie musical is based on the visionary P.T. Barnum’s life and the circus he created that became an overnight spectacle. The songs are amazing and I always find myself singing along every time I watch it. On the plus side, it features an all-star cast of seasoned actors and Broadway singers!

The High School Musical Trilogy (2006, 2007 and 2008)

I wanted to end off this list with how I started my movie musical obsession. These movies are classics and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. This trilogy has basketball, a country club, an iconic baseball scene and Zac Efron. What more could you want?

While I have so many more movie musicals that I love, these are the ones that I guarantee will get you singing, jumping, dancing and crying at the same time! I hope you come to love these movies just as much as I do! Happy singing!

Sabrina Wong

Toronto MU '22

Sabrina is a fourth year student in the Media Production program. She has a passion for film, TV, Broadway, pop culture and everything in between! She currently co-hosts a podcast called “Ghosted”, where she and her co-host talk about Canadian ghost hauntings in their hometowns. When she’s not writing, she’s probably listening to Taylor Swift on repeat.