Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Love Languages: Everything You Need To Know About Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

You thought you knew yourself and the way you love?

Think again. Insert love languages, a new idea of how to love and be loved. A concept millennials have currently been obsessed with, created by Dr. Gary Chapman. With 12 million copies already sold, Chapman “with a passion for people and helping them form lasting relationships”  wrote a series called The Five Love Languages. 

But wait what does a love language even do?

The concept is that everyone gives and receives love differently depending on our individual personality types. We feel love differently from the next person and so on. 

But what’s my love language?

Below I’ve summarized the five love languages mentioned in Chapman’s book! To read everything you can check the book out on the official website.

1. Acts of service 

People with acts of service as a love language love to ease the burden of responsibility their partner has by helping out and doing tasks. For example, doing chores, helping out with work, or running errands.

via GIPHY

2. Gifts 

Pretty self-explanatory, but people with gifts as a love language love giving gifts to their partner. It’s the idea that actions speak louder than words. If this is your partner’s love language, think about finding a meaningful and thoughtful gift for your partner while also making it a surprise.

The act of gift-giving tells your partner that you cared enough to think of them and go out of your way to get them a gift.

3. Physical touch

People with physical touch as a love language love being physically close to their partner. For example, if you and your partner hug, kiss or stay close to each other.

via GIPHY

4. Quality time

People with quality time as a love language feel the most love when they are spending time with their partner. 

via GIPHY

For example, this could be when you and your partner have a date night, go on trips, or have deep conversations. They give you their undivided attention and engage in meaningful activities with you. 

5. Words of affirmation

People with words of affirmation as a love language thrive on verbal acknowledgements of affection. 

This includes lots of “I love you’s” to compliments, encouragement, and talking whether it’s through text or verbal interactions. Writing notes or sending voice notes with sincere words or love and affirmation is the way to go.

To build a healthy relationship you have to work hard for it, but this cheat sheet might make it easier to understand ourselves and other people around us. If you want to know more watch the YouTube video below and click the link here to find out what your love language is! 

Hi everyone! I'm Ayleen and I’m a fourth-year journalism student from Lahore, Pakistan. I currently live in the big city of Toronto, Canada and I can't wait to share all my thoughts, and experiences with you! A few things about me... I love food, animals, and horror movies. Sounds like a killer combo am I right? Check out my writings in my profile or follow me on all my socials to see more from me!