Life in Simplicity: Enjoying the Little Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

After nearly 22 years of being alive, I’ve learned a clear lesson: Life gets pretty difficult sometimes (and yes, that is a massive understatement). With work, school, people, and general, well, life, it’s easy to forget why we trudge on. When life gets boring or hard, we can’t help but think, is this even worth it? Isn’t there more

But do we really need more?

In my experience, it’s just as important to value simple things as grand adventures and joys. Just take every character from The Great Gatsby: If we’re constantly chasing highs, as they all are, the pleasure we get from them will fade faster and faster, becoming more superficial as life goes on, and we’ll never be satisfied because we’re chasing mere momentary fulfillment. 

We weren’t all born to be great or do great things. Some of us were born to write mediocre articles. Plant flowers. Go hiking. Listen to every folk song ever released. What’s wrong with that? Can’t all these things, no matter how simplistic, grant one purpose?

The little things in life are what we live for. At least, that’s how it feels for me. Something as simple as playing card games with my friends or listening to “Achilles Come Down” by Gang of Youths after midnight makes me think, so this is what it means to be alive

While awe — the feeling of transcendence — is typically associated with sublime things like mountains and divinity, it can also be achieved through the little things. According to psychologist Dacher Keltner, even the mundanities of daily life, like leaves changing colours, hearing a child’s laugh, and acts of kindness, can evoke feelings of awe. Though these things may not be considered sublime, they touch us in ways that keep us seeking. 

While we can gain little pleasures, we can also create them. That’s what makes them so great — they’re within our control and easy to find. So, here are some of my favourite simple pleasures that make my days just a little bit brighter.

Putting stickers everywhere

News flash: Getting stickers now is just as fun and fulfilling as it was when we were kids. From giant Redbubble stickers to dollar store booklets, I’ve bought a ton of stickers to put everywhere: my laptop, my notebooks and journals, my scrapbook, and wherever else I may find suitable. Trust me when I say that it’s pretty fun, not to mention somewhat artistic.

Be a kid again. Buy stickers. Use them. Ignore that constant thought of OMG, what if I want to put it somewhere else? Life is too short not to use those stickers you’ve been saving. 

Decorating my room with posters

A personal favourite. I live for posters, and my goal has been to cover every inch of space on my wall with some kind of poster or print (so far, so good!). It’s like a giant puzzle, fitting as much as I can so there’s no white space left, like Rapunzel in Tangled

There are tons of places where you can buy posters, but you can also buy prints from small businesses (which are usually prettier and have more personality). Just head over to your local art market or Etsy to find some designs that best express you and your interests.

If you’re not interested in spending money, you don’t have to — just go on Pinterest, print out some of your favourite images, and put them up. Your space will become yours, showcasing all your favourite characters, film scenes, quotes, and whatever else you want to see every day. For me, seeing my crowded and expressive wall makes my room a comforting space, like my own personal art gallery. 

Eternalizing mediocre moments with pictures

Take out your cameras, everyone, because it’s time to take some pictures.

This has become increasingly common because of social media, and it’s pretty great. Pictures and videos of everyday activities are among the best ways to rekindle a lust for life. If we have to live it, we might as well romanticize it.

Framing life in a new way can change your perspective on it entirely — an aesthetic photograph or video can make even doing schoolwork seem elegant or exciting. Even if it’s not, documenting these moments can add flavour to your routine. 

For me, I’ve achieved this through Snapchat, which has always felt like a digital diary. Even though I don’t post, I take pictures of everything, from highlighting a book haul to documenting the TV shows I’m watching, and save them for myself. Then, a year or two from that moment, I can see exactly what I was doing at that time. Reliving memories is one of the best things about life, isn’t it?

Watching the sunrise or sunset

No one can resist a beautiful sky. I once stayed up just to watch the sunrise through my window. I was enthralled by the cotton candy clouds, the silhouettes of seagulls flying by, and the silence. I kept thinking about how it looked like a painting, except I was watching the real thing. I even wrote about it and how it made me love the world. It wasn’t anything profound, but if something compels you to create, that’s how you know it’s meaningful.

The beautiful commencement of a new day, or the lovely end of one, can touch your heart and change your view on life and the world entirely, even if just for a moment.

Takeaways

These are only four examples, but really, anything that can make us smile despite being so insignificant is the best of life’s pleasures. Life’s beauty is in leaves and flowers, laughing with friends, and reading a favourite book. It’s randomly hearing a favourite song and watching birds fly in formation.

All these things are why we enjoy life — not only enjoy it but find purpose in it. And if you can’t find it, create it. You don’t need a grand reason to keep living. Your purpose can be to read every book by your favourite author. Collect as many blind box figures as possible. Wear your favourite T-shirt tomorrow. Try every flavour of ice cream. Rewatch your comfort show. Hold as many puppies as possible.

On the worst days, your purpose can simply be waking up in the morning. Purpose isn’t stagnant; it can change as life goes on. Every day we’re alive can be one of new purpose. Isn’t that beautiful?

So, trust me, value the little things. They’re the things that keep us going, after all.

Sariya Adnan

Toronto MU '24

Sariya Adnan is currently an English student at TMU. She's been writing her whole life and hopes to use words to create a positive impact on others and the world around her.