This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Welcome back, students! It’s a new school year, and for some, it may be your first time stepping onto campus. Although university/college life sounds super fun, from the new people you meet, new opportunities, and THE FREEDOM of getting that much closer to independence and adulthood, it doesn’t hurt to inquire about campus safety and how you can ensure a safe environment for your post-secondary experience.

Throughout my entire undergrad so far, now entering my graduating year, this is my first time enrolling in an evening class that finishes at 9 PM. Naturally, as a commuter student, I know I must take extra precautions even during the day, and I believe that sharing my tips and tricks will be useful during your time on and off campus.

1. Walk with a Buddy or Large Groups

There’s a buddy system for a reason. It reassures security, a tag-team buddy, and a witness to help you process any situation you may find yourself into. In the article by the White Belt Blogger, there is a big highlighted point: there is strength in numbers. Having a larger group or a buddy can help deter any conflict from strangers, especially during the darker evenings.

2. Have Someone on the Phone with You

There may be a possibility where you are not able to have someone accompany you around campus or there aren’t a lot of students around campus to turn to. A helpful tip to avoid unwanted conflict or conversations is to look busy with someone on the phone. Most people would not want to bother someone who may be on an important phone call or who has easy access to call for help. NOTE: Even pretending to be on the phone with someone works just as effectively.

3. Campus Safety Resources

If you haven’t yet, download your school’s mobile safety app (if applicable). Toronto Metropolitan University–formerly known as Ryerson University–created a new app called the TMU Safe App. Long story short, before writing this article, I encountered an incident where I was harassed in a nearby subway station on my way to school in BROAD DAYLIGHT. I was very shaken up until I reported to campus security, who was kind enough to escort me the rest of my way to class. The security guard informed me that the TMUSafe App provides resources such as Safe Walk, where a campus security guard will meet you at your location and escort you to and/or from school grounds, whether it’s a block away or more. Learning this gave me comfort and is something I will definitely utilize in the future. 

Overall, university/college life is still an amazing experience, but it will be even better if it’s spent safely. 

Kathryn Sevilla

Toronto MU '23

I am a 4th year English major at Ryerson University. As my aspirations grow, I am writing to connect with readers in everyday situations, problems, and feelings. Here to make all audiences feel relevant and heard one article at a time. Content may include and is not limited to social injustices, your daily news, mental health and wellness, and style and beauty.