This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Reneé Rapp is taking the world by storm, and for good reason. Her name has started making its way around more recently due to the rebooted Mean Girls movie musical, but she has been putting in the work for some time now. 

Rapp has a strong theatre background, making her perfect to reprise her role as Regina George in the 2024 Mean Girls film after playing the iconic character on Broadway at just 19 years old. Her vast acting and singing abilities don’t go unnoticed, and she is finally getting the recognition she deserves. 

In 2022, she started putting out her own music. Her 2022 debut single, “Tattoos,” has amassed over 20 million streams on Spotify. She has since released an EP, Everything to Everyone, in 2022 and a full album, Snow Angel, in 2023, which she will continue touring this year. 

Her latest single, “Not My Fault,” featuring Megan Thee Stallion, already has over 25 million Spotify streams after releasing this past January for the Mean Girls movie. Nonetheless, the pop hit is a fun listen that listeners will undoubtedly stream throughout the year.  

Rapp’s strong and versatile voice, paired with her beautifully written lyrics, strongly impacts audiences. It’s one of the many reasons why she is so personable. Her words and personality have a way of making people feel safe and seen. 

In taking on the iconic role of Regina George in both the musical and film reboot versions, much conversation regarding her body took place. At 19 years old, Rapp was faced with answering questions publicly about her body, and she made a TikTok a few years later addressing it. 

What stands out most about this video is Rapp’s ability to speak openly about her experience and her developed awareness of the whole thing. There’s no blame passed or fingers pointed. It’s an open discussion. As a young woman growing up in the industry, there are a lot of elements to navigate. Rapp addresses these things with transparency, creating a safe space for vulnerable discourse. 

Using her platform to connect with her audience, Rapp continues to make herself relatable through her experiences, thoughts, and how she communicates. On her Snow Hard Feelings Tour, Rapp does a lot of crowd work, and it’s very clear that she and her fans are just a bunch of friends getting together. Like in the video below, she’s just having a good time and laughing with her fans in the crowd. There’s no separation between them. 

On Jan. 20, 2024, Rapp also performed as the musical guest on Saturday Night Live and even got to be in a skit. She performed “Not My Fault” with Megan Thee Stallion and her beautiful ballad, “Snow Angel.” 

Not only does she have an amazing voice, but she is naturally funny. Her skit was all about how she needs media training because she always speaks her mind. Luckily, this was just a joke, and we can hope she won’t stop being herself.

With Rapp to continue her Snow Hard Feelings Tour and more projects in the works, there is no telling just how successful she will become. In keeping up with her social media and seeing clips of her on tour, this seems to just be the beginning for Rapp, and there are great things for her looking ahead.

Jillian Gonzales

Toronto MU '25

Jillian Gonzales is a third year Creative Industries student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She was born and raised in Toronto and loves the city. Her interests include music, tv and film, and sports. Jillian also loves to shop and cannot survive without her coffee. You can find her on Instagram @jillian.jg