K-pop Mania in the West: Explaining the Hype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

For those that don’t know, K-pop is a musical style that is a combination of Korean, R&B, hip-hop and pop music. Despite  the language barrier (Korean lyrics), K-pop groups have gained popularity among North Americans, proven by multiple sold out stadiums in the US and Canada.

So what makes these groups so popular? 

One of the most popular K-pop groups currently is Bangtan Sonyeondan, better known as BTS. The group consists of 7 boys: Jimin, V, Jungkook, Suga, Rap Monster, J-Hope and Jin. The boys are in the middle of their WINGS tour and just recently completed 5 sold out shows in America. Unfortunately the WINGS tour didn’t come to Canada, but there is no doubt that BTS will play a show here in the near future.  Why has this group of 7 boys captured the hearts of so many people worldwide? Its because they are more than just singers. They are entertainers. BTS runs weekly variety shows (BTS Run and BTS Gayo) and they constantly communicate with fans through live videos. The members of BTS never fail to express their love for their fan base. 

Source: Giphy

In addition to all of this, I believe that the success of BTS comes trom the fact that the group is accessible. The group’s leader, Rap Monster, is fluent in English and is therefore able to express the group’s love to international fans. The rest of the boys continue to dedicate their time to learning English so that they can interact with international fans to a greater extent. The band’s social media presence is also strong, allowing an extensive number of people to gain access to their music.

Source: Giphy

Regardless of what language the boys sing in, the message that their music sends out is universal. Songs about friendship, love, youth struggles and family allow fans to relate to the group on multiple levels. The boys go above and beyond to pass inspiring messages to their fans and help them get through the hardships of life. BTS has recently been nominated for the BBMA’s Top Social Artist among popular western artists like Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez and Shawn Mendes. I can’t wait to see how BTS` future music will help all of us who are just trying to live life!  

Source: @billboard twitter

Check out a few of BTS’ music videos:

Blood Sweat & Tears

Spring Day

What do you think of K-pop and BTS? Tweet us @HCRyerson 

Jasmeen is a biomedical science major at Ryerson University. She enjoys movies, reading novels and playing with dogs
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.