This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Towards the end of December and beginning of January, everyone talks about resolutions and things we should be changing come the new year. While this works for some people, it may bring added pressure and anxiety to others. Instead of New Year resolutions, January can also be a month of reminiscence, reflection, and rest. 

Reminiscence 

It’s always good to spend some time remembering 2023’s events. It can be a great way to relive the highs and identify the lows. Walking down memory lane allows us to reminisce about the good times and identify the things, events, and people that made us happy in the previous year. It also allows us to gently pinpoint what brought us down this year. 

By recognizing the good and the bad, resolutions may form naturally as we decide what to bring with us in 2024 and what to leave behind in 2023. We may subconsciously decide to do certain activities or spend time with certain people again if they were a highlight from the year, or we may decide to cut out certain things. Some people can mentally reminisce; others use pictures and videos from the year, while some may review their journals. The key is to find a method that works for you. 

Reflection

Another alternative to resolutions may be doing some personal reflection. Similar to reminiscing, this can be done mentally or with the help of pictures, videos, journals, and more. Rather than just remembering the year’s events, reflection is important to recognize how you felt during the events and how you responded. 

This encourages self-awareness and allows you to get to know yourself better. By reflecting, you can determine areas for improvement and other aspects of your life you are proud of. Resolutions may form on their own during reflections as we decide what to continue and leave behind. 

Rest

Finally, January can also simply be about rest. We tend to stress the importance of “hitting the ground running” in the new year; however, sometimes, this can put pressure on an individual. Easing into the new year can be beneficial; there is no rush to make changes right away. Moving forward slowly may feel more comfortable for some. 

In the end, we are all striving to be the best version of ourselves. While there are so many methods by which we can do this, it’s important to be gentle with ourselves and understand that changes will not occur overnight.

Prioritizing our peace is the best way to start the new year. Cheers to 2024!

Ranika Persaud

Toronto MU '25

Writer, 3rd year Biomedical Science student, Grey's Anatomy lover.