This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

This is a code Red – we need to find the scarf.

Taylor Swift’s most anticipated album, Red (Taylor’s Version), weaves a beautiful story for her fans to delve into. Her most popular song from the album, “All Too Well (10 Minute Version),” stirred up a lot of drama about her ex-boyfriend Jake Gyllenhaal.

This 10-minute song reignited the drama from the almost-10-year-old relationship between Gyllenhaal and Swift, in which the infamous scarf was the main attraction. The beloved garment was referenced in her lyrics:

“I left my scarf there at your sister’s house and you’ve still got it in your drawer, even now.”

Fans almost instantaneously began speculating about this scarf on Twitter, Instagram and TikTok.

This is not the first time Swifties have brought up theories about the scarf’s existence. Back in 2017, Gyllenhaal’s sister, Maggie Gyllenhaal, was asked about the scarf on the talk show Watch What Happens Live.

She admitted, “I never understood why everybody asked me about this scarf.”

“I am in the dark about the scarf. It’s possible, I don’t know.”

Maggie Gyllenhaal to Andy Cohen

In the “All Too Well (10 Minute Version)” short film, actress Sadie Sink was seen wearing a bright red scarf. Fans believed this was further validation of the scarf’s existence.

It all started in London in 2010 where the ex-couple was taking a stroll and Swift was spotted wearing a striped Gucci scarf. Apparently, after the break-up, the scarf was no longer in her possession.

Since then, fans have demanded that Gyllenhaal return the scarf. They also showcased their solidarity with Swift by adding the scarf emoji next to their names on Twitter. 

Some people are also siding with Gyllenhaal, arguing that their relationship is old, outdated and there was no point for her to bring it up again. Their age gap also brought about speculation, but people were quick to mention her relationship with Taylor Lautner. He was 17 and a minor at the time when Taylor Swift was 20.

It is no question that fans have taken sides on this story but that still does not answer whether Swift will get her scarf back or not.

Since the release of “All Too Well (Taylor’s Version),” there have been multiple memes made about Gyllenhaal and his alleged gaslighting. One user took to Twitter and said:

On the other hand, some are siding against Swift, bringing up the relationship she had with Lautner:

Ishitaa Chopra is an author, writer, poet and model. She is a mental-health activist and enjoys computer programming. She is also a self-proclaimed Marvel enthusiast. She spends most of her time binging TV shows.