reen displaying the seven members of K-Pop boy group BTS
Original photo by Youdon Tenzin

I Attended A BTS Concert… In a Movie Theatre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As a BTS fan who fell down the rabbit hole during the beginning of the pandemic, I have not had the chance to watch them perform in person. Since the pandemic started, they hosted several online concerts which I “attended” from my living room. They were enjoyable but I felt as though I was watching YouTube videos. I have listened to stories from friends about how exhilarating their live concerts were and was desperate to feel the same energy. When the announcement of a live viewing in cinemas appeared on my Instagram feed in the beginning of March, I was intrigued. I knew that watching them perform on the big screen in a room of equally-enthusiastic fans would be a fun experience, but I was unsure of how them not being in the same room would affect the overall experience.

The live viewing happened on the second day of their three shows in Seoul. While the shows on the first and third day were available for live streaming, as per usual, the show on the second day was screened in over 3500 cinemas worldwide. The tickets for the live viewing were more expensive than a regular movie ticket. I had to shell out an astonishing $40 for this. I was shocked at the amount, but decided to pay in the end because who knows when something like this would happen again, right? After I watched the concert, I deduced that it was quite reasonable. I do think that, like most events, a live viewing is a lot more enjoyable with a friend.

When we walked into the theatre, we were given postcards of the group by the staff. We were also given banners prepared by the official BTS fanclub in Toronto. The woman who gave it to me told me that this is what fans normally hold onto during live concerts. The members see them as messages of encouragement. The theatre I was in was full and so was the other one next door. Some people were decked out in merchandise, waving around their Army Bombs. My friend and I decided to get seats all the way in the back. Afterall, this wasn’t a live concert. The lights began to dim and it was time for the show to begin. 

As expected, the performances were outstanding. On top of performing their most recent singles, BTS brought back some of their older, iconic songs such as Fake Love and DNA. Like most concerts, this one was also a combination of choreographed performances and more interactive ones. They surprised everyone by performing songs they haven’t brought up in years. On the big screen, the experience felt even more exhilarating. A good sound system also does wonders. With the crowd cheering and singing along, it truly felt as though I was there with them in person. The energy in the theatre was so positive; people were cracking jokes, taking pictures with their photocards and using the flashlight on their phones as makeshift lightsticks. 

This live viewing gave me a taste of what the actual in-person concert could look like. Although you can feel the absence in this experience, the joy and energy overpower it. I left that theatre feeling even more excited to see them in person. 

Youdon Tenzin

Toronto MU '24

Youdon Tenzin is a journalism student based in Toronto. She writes about fashion, beauty and entertainment. Her hobbies include listening to true crime podcasts and watching social commentary videos on YouTube.