Wellness > Mental Health

Hustle Life: Recognizing and Resisting Toxic Productivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Anyone who has ever opened TikTok is bound to have come across a study vlog boasting productivity as the way to a happy life. From pre-med students rocking 12-hour study schedules to writers finishing their manuscripts in the blink of an eye, it’s easy to start feeling guilty about mindlessly scrolling through social media. 

The “academic weapon” trend ever-so-present on all social platforms does little to help. With the start of a new year and a new semester, everyone suddenly feels the urge to turn their life around, which starts with being more active. Whether it be through Sunday resets, workout routines, or study plans, the trap to toxic productivity is enticing. 

According to Asana, a work management platform, toxic productivity is defined as “when you push yourself to unhealthy extremes to accomplish more, often at the expense of your physical and mental health.” Because of this, toxic productivity seems to have taken hold of every young person’s life. 

By consuming such idealized content on social media, it becomes easier to trick our brains into thinking that rest is bad for us and that we should constantly be on the move doing something deemed “productive.” This leads to continuously de-prioritizing self-care, leading to serious health impacts or even burnout. Due to this, it’s important to avoid falling into this vicious cycle.

Platforms, like the coaching website BetterUp, offer easy tips to set boundaries and prevent burning yourself out following this trend. Some simple methods found across multiple studies, including BetterUp’s, include the following.

Reframing your idea of success

Most of the ailments brought about by the toxic productivity culture come from the fact that social media created a warped vision of what a successful day looks like.

However, it’s just as important, if not more, to simply sit and do nothing, allowing your body and your mind to reset. This method has been proven, mainly through behavioural therapy, as very effective for increased productivity on tasks that matter and make for happier, well-rested people.

Prioritizing self-care

Setting aside given days on your agenda to practice self-care and reset when a busy week approaches can be a good way to get your mind off of the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Simple things, like taking a bath or taking a break to finally watch the movie you have been meaning to get to, can greatly improve your mood and significantly reduce your stress and risk of burnout.

Picking up a hobby

Finally, prioritizing time to learn new skills and activities can stimulate the more creative part of your brain and can be extremely beneficial to your mental health.

Accessible hobbies like reading, painting, or crocheting allow you to occupy yourself while giving your brain a much-needed time off. Put on your favourite show in the background, and you got yourself a nice and cozy evening far away from toxic productivity!

Overall, it’s important, and even crucial, to recognize the huge part that our social media consumption plays in our day-to-day lives and how to prevent getting affected by the romanticized aspects of it.

Your own well-being should always come first, no matter how unaesthetic it may look! So, grab a pillow and a comfortable blanket, and finally, give yourself the night off you have been dreaming of.

Claire Dufourd

Toronto MU '25

Claire Dufourd is currently in her third year of the journalism program at Toronto Metropolitan University. When she is not chasing leads or reporting on the latest news, you can find her sipping on a strong cup of coffee, enjoying long walks in the Annex, Toronto, or spending time with her beloved golden retriever, Bailey.