This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

As Ontario opens up, more and more people are going out to bars and hosting events. Suddenly, it seems that everyone wants to carry out the plans they haven’t been able to in the last two years. There seems to be this underlying pressure to go to every event and make up for the lost time. Plus, it makes for great Instagram photos.

At what point does burnout begin to apply to social events, too? When it seems so much more comforting to stick to the couch than to be at a party, even though you want to see your friends? How do you know when you should skip out on an outing to take care of yourself?

It’s a difficult question, especially if you want to hang out with people but your social battery is drained. Here are some tips on how to prioritize yourself while still making time to go out.

Learn it’s okay to say no.

It’s tempting to want to go to every event or outing you’ve been invited to––or even meet up with every person who says they’re in the area– even if you’re tired. It’s been a rough two years of seemingly non-stop isolation, but that doesn’t mean you should feel pressured into doing exactly the opposite. Let yourself say no! 

Don’t overcommit.

Thursday after class? Got it. Friday night? Sure! Saturday outing? Of course. Sunday shopping? Never missing it. Suddenly, it’s Monday and you’re exhausted, even though the weekend was supposed to be a recharge. Don’t fall into the trap of overcommitting; give yourself a day or two to rejuvenate.

Dispel FOMO.

Missing social events might make you humour the nagging what if in the back of your mind. What if I miss the next inside joke? What if there’s a story to tell that’ll come out of tonight? What if people see that I’m not in the Instagram photo and wonder what happened? That’s the FOMO talking. Remind yourself that your friends will still be your friends if you miss out on a couple of outings.

Value alone time.

Remember to not only take time for yourself to recharge but enjoy the time you spend with yourself! Treat hanging out with yourself as if you’re hanging out with someone else: Spend some money, do nice things, and don’t be afraid to go out once in a while!

There’s joy in going out and spending time with friends, but always remember to take care of yourself in the process so that you can be your best self around the people you love and care about.

Samantha Ti

Toronto MU '24

Samantha is a second-year media production student with a passion for screenwriting and music. She loves sitcoms, Taylor Swift, and predictable, trope-y love stories. As someone who enjoys writing complicated characters, you'll often find Samantha at a local café taking note of the people and dynamics around her, or deep into the world of yet another story.