How I Felt Comfortable and Confident Travelling Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

At 18-years-old, I had a thirst for adventure. I had spent the year sitting in my new dorm room, looking at concrete block walls and dreaming of all the places I wanted to visit. So, I made a list in a little notebook I called “My Travel Diary” of all the foods I wanted to try, all the skills I wanted to learn, and where the best sunsets would be in cities across the world.

And then, one day, I took one of those places off of my list and turned it into a reality. At 18, with a fresh and ferocious sense of independence, I planned my first solo backpacking trip to the place where pizza and pasta are hailed by gods and tourists alike.

Have you guessed it yet? I went to Italy.

Now, planning a trip and actually experiencing the trip are two very different things. I have to admit; I was naive in thinking the photos that were beautifully edited and showcased pristine weather were what I would experience 100% of the time — I mean, it’s Europe! It’s the most magnificent place where every photo is worthy of an Instagram post.

Through the occasional lows and extreme highs, here is how I planned to thrive alone in a foreign country and the one thing I wish I’d done differently.

Budget for your wallet’s sake

The best thing I could have done was to give myself a budget for food and activities each day. If you are like me and want to try everything and go everywhere — our wallets can’t catch up, especially as university students.

I was willing to sacrifice a nice meal here and there for a good baguette and some local cheese. As long as my meal had a view of the city, I was satisfied (and so was my wallet). Giving yourself a budget might seem restrictive, but it actually gives you the freedom to take control of your trip and not spend all your money in a matter of days.

Your hostel bunkmate may become your new best friend

I remember being terrified of travelling to a new country alone. The idea of having complete control over what I was doing was exhilarating and freeing, but it also led to the thought of… who am I going to talk to for the next three weeks?

Don’t worry; staying in a hostel means you already have friends before you check into your room. Being surrounded by like-minded individuals who shared my adventurous spirit was a new experience that made me realize I wasn’t actually alone. Whether you go out for coffee or find the coolest bar in the city, having a friend or two makes a new city seem less big.

Just wander

The best day of my entire backpacking trip was in Florence when I had nothing planned and walked around the city for the entire day by myself.

I peeked into small cafes and watched as a family took their dog for a walk through a big park in front of an old library. I sat on a bench that occupied a busy street and watched as tourists and locals navigated paths around each other.

It was a beautiful day where I appreciated where I was and how lucky I was, and it was the moment I fell fully head over heels in love with exploring the world.

Bring a backpack

Technically, you can bring a suitcase and still call it backpacking, but bringing a backpack was life-changing for me.

Not only was I able to avoid cobblestones, but it provided me with the freedom to do activities without the hassle of dragging around a suitcase. It had a multitude of pockets so my possessions were neatly organized and convenient, and the best part — my hands were free to eat gelato!

Allow yourself time to adjust

My biggest mistake was booking a gallery tour on the day I arrived in Florence. I was so excited when planning my trip that I wanted to hit the ground running and waste no time. It actually worked out in the opposite direction, and I wasted more time than I had wished.

I don’t know about you, but I get a little travel sick… okay, I get really travel sick.

When I arrived at my hostel exhausted, sweating, and dehydrated, I fell sick. My body was not agreeing with the time zone or the weather, so pushing myself to go to a gallery was a no-go.

My advice is to give yourself the first day to do nothing. Maybe you wander around your new city or have a drink at a local bar, but don’t push yourself to do activities. You’ll give yourself time to adjust and start the trip out on a good note.

When you prepare your body and mind for a trip, it becomes less daunting and more enjoyable. Make sure to try out these tips on your next adventure!

Abbie North

Toronto MU '25

Abbie is a third-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She was born in England but raised on Vancouver Island in BC. During her spare time, you can find Abbie writing, finding new recipes to cook, and drinking too much coffee. Travel is Abbie's biggest passion and you can always find her planning her next trip. Find her on Instagram: @abbie_northh